Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Return pump pumping too fast.

My return pump I'm my sump is returning the water way too fast. I have a PVC ball valve on the return line. Right now it's running, but the valve is almost fully shut and I don't see much flow in my sump tank. If I turn the valve open from where it is the slightest bit, my overflow fills and the return eventually runs dry. I have a pump rated for 591 gph. My intake line is 1" PVC, as is the return line. The bulkhead is flush with the inside of the 1" PVC. I also got 2 1" outside circumfrence siphons for my overflow. Is it bad to restrict the flow of the pump that much? How can I get more flow? Would putting a powerhead in lower tank help? If I increase the size of my intake pipe, do I need to increase my return pipe?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I few questions: how big is the tank, and how big is the sump?

I only have a little experience here, with 2 125s both with 30g Oceanic sumps, but it's always a balance between the capacity of the overflow (length of the slotted opening) and the GPH of the return pump. If you open the ball valve all the way and it runs dry, then your overflow can't handle the GPH output of the pump. It's not bad to restrict the OUTflow of the return pump; it's bad to restrict the INflow (if you are running a submerged pump, generally you can't restrict the inflow).

Both the tanks I work on have 3/4 ID returns and 1" or 1-1/4" sump supplies, but there's always a bottleneck on the bulkhead down to 1" so I don't see much of a problem there, I think the problem lies in your overflow capacity. Throttle back the ball valve, starting at full, until you get a balanced level in the sump.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you have the diffusers on the outlets or open bore plumbing?

I have a 45g tank with a sump capable of 175g tank filtering, I have a 950 GPH pump on it, I also have a CPR 100 box I believe on there, I am unrestricted inlet and outlet with the same ball valve on there at full open and I dont suck dry at all.

I think your overflow might be too small to handle the pumps GPH, This is my first sump system and i had it paired with the pump at the store I bought it from.

Here is a link which might help you a little more
its for the info not saying go buy their box, they just have great info on the overflows,pumps and sumps.

http://www.cpraquatic.com/pdf/csselection.pdf

basically compare their boxes on the chart when you find your pumps GPH and compare to other boxes even your own and go from there.

are you running a 2 outlet overflow box and still sucking dry or is there just 1 supply to the sump?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I made it all myself. Here are some pictures, the tank is a 46 gal bow front and the sump is a 12 gal bow. Im not sure what diffursers are so no I dont have any. So from my understanding I need to increse the size of the container of the overflow on the inside of the tank?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post

(if you are running a submerged pump, generally you can't restrict the inflow).
What in the world are you talking about?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

On another note, I think you would be better off getting a real overflow from CPR or Eshopps and make sure it's rated above your pump output. Remember you could always adjust the supply volume with the valve while leaving your return valve open. It's ok to restrict the return with a valve (I personally don't like too) but you have to be careful not to exceed the pumps head max head height. What model quiet 1 pump is that? From looking at the photos it looks like your tank can't handle the sump volume should the siphon break.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
What in the world are you talking about?
If you have for instance a Mag 12 in a sump like this

The inlet doesn't have a ball valve on it or anything to restrict the intake flow. If it were a pump exterior to the sump, you could put a valve on it of something to cut off the flow, but this would be bad for the impeller and cause failure.

On that note, I have a question about the picture of your sump. It looks like your overflow pipe coming in goes through bioballs, then the pump intake is actually piped to the other corner of the tank through a vertical and then horizontal pipe? Does that pipe then elbow down back below the water or something, or what?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You meant the suction side of the pump, I thought you meant the supply water into the sump. Now I understand what you were saying
Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have no baffles. The pipe runs up like that so if I loose my siphon, for some weird reason, the pump will only pump that much water into the tank. The 90 reduses noise. I built my own trying to avoid costs of overflow box. The concept seemed easy, buy that may be what I have to do. The pump is a quiet1one mod. 2200. It's rated at 581 gph.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your pump is just pumping about 300 GPH max maybe less because the output should be 3/4" Inner diameter pipe or tubing. The 1" is adding head pressure to the pump reducing it's output volume. Which definitely leeds to the feed being big time deficient. a 1 inch PVC pipe gravity fed is rated for 960 GPH so if you figure in the bends and other obstructions in the design you should at least be getting 600 gph. What you can do for a test is create a direct siphon from the tank to the sump with valve installed so you can control the flow and see if your pump can out pace the supply, I believe this will show you that there is a big issue with your DIY overflow. One thing you should consider is installing a gate valve on feed to the sump because it is a real PIA to adjust the level with the ball valves.

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com