Return pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airgoose2222

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has two 2" overflows with two 1" return pipes from the sump. What size pump is good for this situation? The display tank is 300 gallons and the sump is 75 gallons.

You can run whatever you want through those pipes. I would probably look for something around 2000 gph, give or take.

danner mag 18. would give you 1800 gph to start with (of course youd lose some due to headloss)

danner mag 18 | eBay

if you want around 2000gph actually coming out of the returns, look into a Mag 24, it pumps out 2400gph at 0 head. so it would prob be closer to 2000-2200 gph at 4 feet.

Or you could go external. I would do so If I had a choice. Less heat in the tank and more room in the sump. you would have to drill your sump for this though. Not hard to do, but it's the only way.

I got a sump today that is drilled for an external. I like the prices of the mag pumps, but they are internal. Any good deals on externals anywhere? I have looked, but haven't found any that are comparable to the mag drives.

Found one. It looks like I'm getting the Jebao JPP 10000. It is rated for 2600 GPH and is approved for marine aquarium use. Head loss will be close to 2000 GPH. Fingers crossed!!

Mag pumps can be external or internal. Both the input and output are threaded for hose barbs. They are my choice for there quietness, size and reliability. Good luck!

See i like internally mounted pumps because i feel liek the constant flow of water around them helps to keep them a bit cooler than externally mounted pumps. also helps that i dont live in an insanely hot state either.

Heat in the tank is a concern for most. You probably welcome it though. Externally mounted pumps will last 10 years or more. I've had mag drives quit after just a few years. Some right out of warranty. I don't think a little heat matters much to these pumps.
I don't understand the popularity of danner mag drives. I would rather use a Quiet One or Eheim.

Not only that, but the space that is freed up inside the sump is a big thing for me.

i guess it comes down to situational conditions, i would love to try out an externally mounted pump but never had the chance to . luckily for me i have the room for an internal pump.

yes...I always did too, but I like external pumps better. Most use the mags, but most have smaller systems. I always have big tanks so, I like the externals. That said, at the moment I'm using 2 mag 9.5's...lol.

haha look on the brightside, atleast you didnt hardline your mag18 return pump in and forget to install a union......

Mr X I've actually been looking at external pumps because I'm looking to put my sump in the basement. With that said, I see you're recommending the reflow pumps however I'm noticing a common problem with them and that's the seals are notoriously crap and need replaced often and sometimes right out of the box. I was just curious why you recommend this brand over others?

Because I had good experiences with them. They are an American company that stands behind their products... at least a couple years ago they did. How many instances did you read about?

I'll admit the reviews on BRS scare me... I haven't looked further but that's where I started and then stopped.

I got my Jebao 10000 in today. I'll be hooking it up to my sump this weekend. We'll see how it goes. It's rated for 2600 GPH and the head height is 4 ft. Should work pretty well (I'm hoping at least).

image-280053812.jpg

Back
Top Bottom