Return pump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma

Aquarium Advice Freak
So Im wondering how to size a return pipe for the tank im building.

72x20x20 central overflow (2x 1.5" holes for drain/emergency) and 2x 3/4" return lines

the sump is 5ft long and 16" high

the stand is about 32" high so pumping from floor to top of tank is no more than 52" (4.3 ft)

Im wondering if I could get away with a Mag 9.5 for the return which at 5' is rated for 750GPH or should I go with something a bit bigger which throws out 1000+

Only reason I am bringing up the Mag 9.5 is because I have found a wicked good deal on them at a LFS.

I'm a fan of low flow on my return pump. 2-5x works well for me. I've noticed with a lower flow my skimmer is much more efficient. A mag9.5 is more than enough for your tank. I have it on mine and though I wish I had purchased a smaller one with less flow, it was on sale.

im just wondering if 6x is enough, I mean its really only 6x if I count the display if I count the sump and display im only pushing maybe 3x turnover rate on the tank, seems rather low?

Magma said:
im just wondering if 6x is enough, I mean its really only 6x if I count the display if I count the sump and display im only pushing maybe 3x turnover rate on the tank, seems rather low?

Seems fine for a return pump / sump flow. Do you have PH's to generate flow in your DT?

Back
Top Bottom