Return Pump to Powerful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stck2mlon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a Pro Clear 150 filter that I am just setting up. I got a general purpose utility pump (Supreme Classic Model 7). Its rated at 460 gph at 3', roughly my distance back to the tank. The intake pump is a Catalina CA-1800 rated at 400 gph at 4ft, again roughly the distance from the overflow box/prefilter contraption. When I turn them on, the return pump is returning it faster than it can take in. So after maybe 30 seconds its blowing bubbles like snow into the tank and I can't see a thing. The fish are loving the O2 it seems :D. I have the sump "gate" pushed all the way down, I even removed the filter pad so there was only the plastic tray and bio balls between the final filter block and the return pump. So my question is, do I need a less powerful return pump?:confused:

Tank Specs
====================================================
60 gallon rectangle. FOWLR but moving towards reef, hence wet dry. Have a Marineland 400 attached now until I can get the wet/dry function properly.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Usually you can find a ball valve at a hardware store like lowes or home depot. Is your return plumbing PVC? If you are still having problems with having too much return something else you can do is have a T placed in the return and each T section having a ball valve so some of the water goes back into the sump. I would try just a ball valve on the return first.

Back
Top Bottom