reverse osmosis or de-ionized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbaier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are these systems a must for reefs? I have tap water now, fish only with lots of LR. We've been getting used to everything for about 2 yrs, and want to add stuff.

one other question

We tried 2 bubble tips, but they didn't last a week. I think it may be phosfates. how can we lower this? i'm buying a test kit soon.

Ok first of all you must use either RO or DE-IONIZED water for a reef, i think that RO is a little better however you cant really have a reef at all with tap water and thats probably why your anemone's didnt make it. Also what is your lighting and specs etc...

gump3842k said:
Ok first of all you must use either RO or DE-IONIZED water for a reef, i think that RO is a little better however you cant really have a reef at all with tap water and thats probably why your anemone's didnt make it. Also what is your lighting and specs etc...

That isn't exactly true... Generally it is true that TAP water will not suffice, but it can and does work in some areas. Tap water varies from location to location and house to house (based on the age of the house and the type of plumbing). As a rule of thumb you can get your water tested at a lfs or some swimming pool places to find out what is in your water....

RO water with a final stage DI is preferred. Tap will work but will generally make things harder on you and degrade water quality. It is not recommended.

for lighting i have a power compact actinic 96 watt and one 96 watt full spectrum light.
JB protein skimmer
46 gal bowfront w/ 75 lbs of live rock, 2 clown fish and one blue devil damsil, and a coral banded shrimp.

we have a wet dry filter with the protein skimmer

Is this sufficient for a reef eco system?

We tried 2 bubble tips, but they didn't last a week. I think it may be phosfates. how can we lower this? i'm buying a test kit soon.
How old is this tank? What are your current water parameters? These were probably biiger factors in the demise of the anemones then the PO4.

With the system you described you should be able to develope a nice little reef. Just remember to take it slow. What type of Wet/dry do you have?

for lighting i have a power compact actinic 96 watt and one 96 watt full spectrum light.

that's a 196 total watts of light, giving you a little over 4 watts/gal. That's probably a marginal amount of lighting to keep anemones. Additionally, while others may disagree, I have never had sucess with anemones without using MH. PCs just don't seem to be penetrating enough.

we have a wet dry filter with the protein skimmer

wet/dry filters tend to build up a lot of nitrates in your tank over time. while it may be satisfactory for your fish, a lot of corals are very sensitive to nitrates and won't survive if there is an abundance. have you checked your nitrate level lately?

Our nitrate level is 5 ml/g which is not the greatest but not too bad. if wet/dry filters are not good for a reef system because of their high output of nitrates, is there something that i can do to lower the nitrates without buying a new filter, or should i get a new filter and what type of filter?

I have a wet dry. What I've done is removed 1/2 of my bio balls, I've submurged the other half (a lot of people will put live rock rubble in the bottom of the bio ball compartment instead). I keep my filter media clean and the sponge under the wall clean as well. I also plan on adding a refugium with some macro that will help to eat up the nitrates. 5 is a pretty good reading. Corals don't like it over 10 and fish don't like it over 20?40 so 5 is well within acceptable levels across the board. If you see them creaping up over time you'll need to have a plan.

Back
Top Bottom