Review of JBJ True Temp Digital Controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got one of these for a reef tank I maintain:

Titanium Heater with JBJ TRUE TEMP Digital Controller - English

I got the one with the 300W heater. I have to say that right away I can tell this is a VASTLY superior heating system. The heater unit is titanium w/plastic shield
  • The heater and temperature probe are separate

• It has magnets to hold the heater and temperature probe in place, and you can then move them around without getting your hands wet.

• The controller is stupid-easy to set and you can calibrate it (stupid-easy as well)
I now feel much more comfortable than I did when this system was running off a 4-year-old Rena 300W heater with a highly inaccurate dial setting, and a $8 Coralife digital thermometer. I calibrated the JBJ unit using my Hanna Combo pH/TDS/Temp meter.

The only thing that I would change about this unit is that it has a factory setting to keep the temp in a +/- 1 F range, so if you set it to 77, it will turn on at 76 and heat to 78, then turn off until it hits 76 again. I would like to see that range be adjustable as well. But I'm sure there's a reason they did it (that's an acceptable range for the majority of aquarists, unless you're keeping something delicate, in which case you probably have a multi-system controller.

I maintain 2 other tanks and have problems getting the temperature set-point right because of either cheap heaters, problems with positioning the end of the heater with the thermostat in the right spot, having multiple heaters, etc. I believe I will be purchasing this heater system for both of those tanks as well in the near future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom