Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #1

Rid-Ich Stains on Ornaments and Tank...

As I prepare to surrender my 60-gallon rectangular and get rid of the corresponding equipment purchased for it (I still need to find a home for my three fancytail goldfish), I had a question about the effects of Rid-Ich medication on the plants, ornaments, tubing and aquarium sealants...

Will these blue dye stains from the medication ever come off the elements aforementioned? Will they just fade with time off the ornaments, glass sealant areas and the airline tubing connecting the bubble walls? This will be a concern for a future buyer...

Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

obviusly you have tried washing them and scrubbing. try soaking in hot water, personally I think thry will come off easily.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
obviusly you have tried washing them and scrubbing. try soaking in hot water, personally I think thry will come off easily.
Reef,

Actually I didn't try scrubbing and washing them...

Should they fade in the water though, if I just leave it all to soak?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

You can also try a mix of 10-1 water to bleach. 10 parts water, one part bleach. Soak the heck out of it, rinse extremely well, if the blue stain is gone, then soak over night in water that has dechlorinator in it. If the stain is fading, continue the soaking in the 10-1 water. Just make sure that once you have the blue stain gone, you soak the piece in the dechlorinated water. That will neutralize the bleach (chlorine)

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

The staining is from the malachite green and likely to never go away. A vinegar or bleach solution soak will be the best hope.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
The staining is from the malachite green and likely to never go away. A vinegar or bleach solution soak will be the best hope.
Oh no...that's not good news -- why is this even put in medications if it ruins glass, plastic and other materials???

Are you sure it won't eventually fade off the items?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
Oh no...that's not good news -- why is this even put in medications if it ruins glass, plastic and other materials???

Are you sure it won't eventually fade off the items?
Because as a medication, it serves the purpose it's used for. They should better warn people though. This is another reason (along with personal preference) that I prefer the heat + salt method over meds.

No, I'm not sure. I hope it does fade away for you, but I have a 29 that was dosed 2 1/2 years ago or so and the seals are still stained. I'm just too lazy to reseal it and don't mind the blue tint that much.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Because as a medication, it serves the purpose it's used for. They should better warn people though. This is another reason (along with personal preference) that I prefer the heat + salt method over meds.
Yeah, but the other meds don't have the machalite green, and they serve the purpose of meds, too...

Quote:
No, I'm not sure. I hope it does fade away for you, but I have a 29 that was dosed 2 1/2 years ago or so and the seals are still stained. I'm just too lazy to reseal it and don't mind the blue tint that much.
Probably just what I'm gonna have to live with as well.

Tags
ich, stain, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com