Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2004, 06:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RO Auto shutoff switch install

I bought an automatic shutoff switch to plumb into my RO unit. Ebay guy said a float switch won't build enough pressure without one to shut of the RO unit. Unfortunately, the install instructions make no mention of where it is to be installed. I emailed him telling him so and asking for clarification on the switch. He replied by sending the same set of instructions, so way to go on reading your emails Mr. RO guy.

The switch has 4 holes for tubing, apparently 2 in and 2 out. 1 set is a straight pass through, the 2nd set seems to hae valving or something in it. Anyone have any words of wisdom on this?

Old 09-23-2004, 06:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Btw, this is a 6 stage RO unit, same one's on ebay.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

what are the instructions he sent

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

hmmm automatic how? it's not a float? do you have a link for the ebay auction? (or a brand name?)
Old 09-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it AquaSafe Canada? If so I got one and it is an automatic shut-off (when the
storage tank fills up). It does require pressure to activate the Auto Shut-off valve.

HTH

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
This valve is entended for a closed holding tank. When the tank gets full backpressure causes the valve to close. I saw these when I was investigating RO units. Didn't seem to have a place in my set up. I believe these are more for under the sink units for drinking water where you need pressure to dispense the RO water. My RO water goes into an open top drum with a float type electric level switch. The float switch is wired to a solid state relay that turns on a solenoid valve to supply the RO unit with water. I suppose you could wire the solenoid valve right to the float switch. They are usually rated for plenty of amps to do the job, I just didn't want 110 volts so close to my water supply. Another option is to use a low voltage transformer and a low voltage solenoid valve to lower the risk. There are many ways to do this.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have one on mine and I just use a manual shut off for mine and not the storage tank. When I am done filling up my containers, I shut off the valve and as the pressure builds up, the auto shut off pictured cut the water off.

That valve comes standard on the 100 GPD systems that Aquasafe sells. Check out one of those and I believe there should be a pic. I could take a pic of mine at home if needed.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is going to be plumbed straight into my 'fuge, no storage tank. I have a non-electric float switch going in that shuts off water flow when the float is up. Ebay add said the float switch will not generate enough pressure to shut off the RO unit without the switch.

Sparky, it is an aquasafecanada filter. How did you plumb the swtich in?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use the holding tank. But what I do is instead of using the faucet that comes with the unit I use a electronic flow switch and valve to shut off the flow to my sump. The flow to the sump comes from the holding tank. I have mine set so that when ever I get about 3 gallons low it will open the valve and empty the holding tank yo my sump. The holding tank holds a little more than 3 gallons of RO water. Then after the tank empties, it will fill back up and when the pressure in the tank reaches the the amount it should, it will shut off the RO unit with the switch provided.

In short, I set mine up as if I was going to put it under the sink. I just replaced the faucet with my setup to fill my tank. Pretty simple actually.
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think I'm getting my question across. My RO unit didn't come with the switch itself installed. The entire unit is plumbed together with another valve where the switch should be I think. I can't tell from the pictures which line goes into which side of the switch and the instructions read as if the switch is already installed. From the look of the shipped unit I can turn the water off manually, but I need to get the switch in place. Below is what the auction posts and what I have. If you could take a look at yours and tell me which colored line goes where I would appreciate it. From the switch itself, 1 side has in and out marked on it, the other side has no markings.

Tags
auto, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com