RO Backflush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm coming accross differing opinions on the web about backflush kits for RO membrane. Obviously the manufacturer wants to sell product both back flush kits and replacement membranes so who knows where the truth lies. Some seachem literature online recommended against backflushing because it creates problems with scaling and not being efficient b/c it's using unpurified water. Any insight would be appreciated.

I typically backflush my membrane once every other week or so. From everything I have read, this is good for the membrane as it "unclogs it" from everyday use.

I haven't come across anything to the contrary. I don't have any hard evidence to back up that backflushing is good, though. Some things in the SW aquarium keeping world are anecdotal. That doesn't mean they don't work however.

Thanks, I'm probably going to get the backflush and maybe a 2nd DI canister depending on what the TDS meter I'm getting shortly says.

Back
Top Bottom