Ro/di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Need recommendations on what unit to buy. Based on cost, replacement filters, hook up, ect. Looking to buy unit later today and wanted all of your guys help on making my decision. Thanks.

Tired of hauling 5 gal containers back and forth. :)

carey said:
You can go with a portable very cheap unit

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Or you can get a larger sized unit with a larger price tag. lol I started with the ebay one and just got this next one. The ebay one is pretty fast at making water and the full size one is a bit slower....here's that link

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System - English

Does the first one here just connect to water fauster and water comes out from where?

You can hook up the ebay one to a garden hose or to a faucet. It's meant to be portable so you can unhook it when youre done. You do have to tell them which adaptor you want if you order or they will send you a hard plumb kit.

I used my garden hose for both of my ro/di setups, great water pressure and kept it all out of the way. :)

You can also explore other options for the ebay model at their website P U R E W A T E R C L U B . They have the replacement filters there too, I had to replace my filters (not the membrane, thats good for a couple years) not too long ago and it ran me $30. I also have several tanks including a 125g so I go through ALOT of water. lol

The ebay one is cheap but will generate the same quality water as a larger more expensive unit. The quality is cheaper but if you don't abuse the equipment it should last quite a while. The main difference between the two is the water production total and the filters. The bulk reef supply unit takes any standard sized filters while the ebay one requires smaller ones that I think are harder to get if you don't go to the website I linked above.

You also want to pick up a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter for maybe $20. This will tell you when you need to replace the filters. You can test the tap water at your house and then see how clean the ro/di unit gets it. My tap is at 250tds and my pure water is at 0 which is where it should be. :)

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions just ask.

Is the model from eBay an RODI or just an RO system? is the DI important?

I'm a huge fan of the BRS model myself. I've had it for some time now. I like the built in TDS meter as well as the flush valve. Haven't looked back since. Great quality build.

carey said:
The units linked above are both ro/di. :)

BULK REEF SUPPLY. I have their $129 3stage RO/DI unit and it is wonderful. I use it from my kitchen sink right now and make water as needed. Highly recommended!

This may be a dumb question- but where does the clean water being produced go/stored? If I don't have a barrell, can I leave the system hooked up and just produce the water as needed? How long would it take to fill a 5 gallon bucket? Sorry for the questions- I'm just trying to unerstand how it works.

You would have to get some type of storage container. Rubbermaid are common just make sure FDA approved. Googling would bring up some containers. I bought a cylindrical 17 gallon container that fit my space. Plastic-Mart.com I think was site.

As far as production. Depends on water pressure, type of unit, temperature of water and if filters are new or getting clogged from being In system for 6 months.

Float valves are recommended by me since easy to let water run and forget your making water. Overflows will happen without float valve. Make water in bathtub also good preventative measure.

I have the 50 gpd unit and I fill a 5 gallon bucket in about an hour. Waste water output is different for some of the units too, I think. For every gallon of pure water you also waste water.

I run my pure water line from the unit to a Brute garbage can with a float valve. Real easy stuff, I promise. :)

I have overflowed my containers in the past so the $10 float valve can be a great thing. lol

The ebay unit makes about a 5 gallons an hour, the BRS unit makes 2. something gallons an hour on their 75gpd setup. It does depend on your water pressure for quantity, but the 5g an hour is about average.

You also want to pick up a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter for maybe $20. This will tell you when you need to replace the filters. You can test the tap water at your house and then see how clean the ro/di unit gets it. My tap is at 250tds and my pure water is at 0 which is where it should be. :)

Where would you get this TDS meter?

I run my pure water line from the unit to a Brute garbage can with a float valve. Real easy stuff, I promise. :)

I have overflowed my containers in the past so the $10 float valve can be a great thing. lol

And can you get the float valve at any hardware store? Sorry, I know nothing about plumbing.

I plan to order tomorrow - getting ready to upgrade finally.:dance:

Most online stores that sell RO DI will sell float valves. Like bulk reef supply or the filter guys. They also both supply in line tds meters. You can add them to your order and they will install it online on your RO DI system.

Back
Top Bottom