Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ro/di

I need a straight answer. As everyone I have talked to in the last 6 months has given me a different answer or babbled on about other things to get away from my question. I refuse to spend 200$+ on a system if it won't work for me.

My water, out of the tap.

350-400 TDS
Ph of 7.8-8.5

Ph is un changeable. I could pour about 10lbs of acid buffer in it and it is back at 7.8-8 12-24 hrs later. I literally use 4x the amount they say to use on the bottle just to try and keep it down to 7.4-7.5

I need about 200g of soft stable water a week. Ph of about 6-7 depending on tank.

Will a ro/di work for me and get my water soft and ph stable in the specified range?

Oh yeah and as a side note, just to prove how horrible my water is, if I drink it, I get sick.... Like not go more then 10ft away from a toilet sick... For 24-36 hrs...

Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ro/di makes my tds=0 and my ph no higher than 7. I have well water where I live and wouldnt dare drink it. my ro/di system is used for my tanks and I fill the 5 gallon jugs for my water system. No lie, my tds out of the tap was like much higher than yours....

Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

pH easily changeable?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you use R/O DI water you will have 0 tds and no PH you will have to add a buffer like neutral regulator if you want a 7.0 ph our one of the African buffers if you want a higher Ph. If the water is to be used for freshwater you will also need to use a R/O water conditioner to add back all the electrolytes.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinya View Post
If you use R/O DI water you will have 0 tds and no PH you will have to add a buffer like neutral regulator if you want a 7.0 ph our one of the African buffers if you want a higher Ph. If the water is to be used for freshwater you will also need to use a R/O water conditioner to add back all the electrolytes.
?

What ro units box did you get that off of?

These are the answers I get every time, general, non specific responses that shy around the question at hand.

Is it easily changeable? Yes or no? If you read thru the original post I need the pH at about 5.5-6.5 I think I wrote 7 would be too high for the fish I want.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

If you want a ph lower than 7 use discus buffer it will get you down to we're you want to be. Go to dr fosters.com They sell everything you need. You need to do some research for your self . Look up the buffers and r/o conditioners that I mentioned and read the directions. I didn't get a thing off a box I use r/o water on all my tanks I know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinya View Post
If you want a ph lower than 7 use discus buffer it will get you down to we're you want to be. Go to dr fosters.com They sell everything you need. You need to do some research for your self . Look up the buffers and r/o conditioners that I mentioned and read the directions. I didn't get a thing off a box I use r/o water on all my tanks I know what I'm talking about.
Another thing that I've tried. With no luck. Tested on a 5.5 gal aquarium for 5 days with no different test results thru liquid and electronic tests.

The research I have done has yielded no answers, every ro/di website I have emailed has given me a different response and will not tell me exactly what I can expect from a unit and what I will need to do with the treated water. Ex add a cup of acid buffer to get it to 6.0 and stay there for a week. Have talked to multiple lfs and have gotten no where there either. All they want to do is sell me one or say I don't need it.

No one can tell me if its stable water rather then the 12-24hr spikes I get in my tap water. I understand that everyone's situation is different, but, the end result must be the same no mater what as everyone is putting water thru a similar system. Yeah most ppl use em for salt stuff but I need it for wild apistos/angels/discus.

One guy says I won't be able to get any hardness or pH readings from ro/di water.

Next website says I just need a ro unit to get the water soft.

The last place says buy the biggest system you can.

Ok. Why?

Take my tap water to a place to have it double checked, and so they see what the parameters are and they just say its fine. What? No. Answer my question! One place actually said I had 0 hardness, and 3 TDS. On water out of my tap that I tested before I left my house with it and had readings of moderately hard and 350-400 TDS.

This is the run around I have been getting for the last 6 months while I have been looking at ro/di systems. Hence why I don't have one. No one will say, yes, it will work and do what you are looking to accomplish.

See where the utter anger and frustration comes from?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
ro/di makes my tds=0 and my ph no higher than 7. I have well water where I live and wouldnt dare drink it. my ro/di system is used for my tanks and I fill the 5 gallon jugs for my water system. No lie, my tds out of the tap was like much higher than yours....
So this is not any advice???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
?

What ro units box did you get that off of?

These are the answers I get every time, general, non specific responses that shy around the question at hand.

Is it easily changeable? Yes or no? If you read thru the original post I need the pH at about 5.5-6.5 I think I wrote 7 would be too high for the fish I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
Do not reply to a thread if you do not know and or can not answer a question. There was no help or advice given, other then what anyone can pick up and read off a box. I was not being rude, but now I am and will be because of your post.
So you think replying to posts from other members like the above replies is not being rude, do you honestly think people are going to bother helping or trying to help, if you reply to posts like that. Maybe that's why there are so little replies to it. If someone replied to you like that when you are trying to help, would you be happy or if you were reading the thread, would you rush to help. I would guess not, maybe that's why nobody has. Calm down, re-read your question, the replies you got and the replies you gave... Maybe you should give the rules of this forum a read.....
PS... For the record, I don't know the answer to your question!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll say it again.....I have zero TDS and will clarify i have no pH from my ro/do unit.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #10

Some people can't be helped,

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com