Ro/di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brown Water

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need a straight answer. As everyone I have talked to in the last 6 months has given me a different answer or babbled on about other things to get away from my question. I refuse to spend 200$+ on a system if it won't work for me.

My water, out of the tap.

350-400 TDS
Ph of 7.8-8.5

Ph is un changeable. I could pour about 10lbs of acid buffer in it and it is back at 7.8-8 12-24 hrs later. I literally use 4x the amount they say to use on the bottle just to try and keep it down to 7.4-7.5

I need about 200g of soft stable water a week. Ph of about 6-7 depending on tank.

Will a ro/di work for me and get my water soft and ph stable in the specified range?

Oh yeah and as a side note, just to prove how horrible my water is, if I drink it, I get sick.... Like not go more then 10ft away from a toilet sick... For 24-36 hrs...

ro/di makes my tds=0 and my ph no higher than 7. I have well water where I live and wouldnt dare drink it. my ro/di system is used for my tanks and I fill the 5 gallon jugs for my water system. No lie, my tds out of the tap was like much higher than yours....

If you use R/O DI water you will have 0 tds and no PH you will have to add a buffer like neutral regulator if you want a 7.0 ph our one of the African buffers if you want a higher Ph. If the water is to be used for freshwater you will also need to use a R/O water conditioner to add back all the electrolytes.

If you use R/O DI water you will have 0 tds and no PH you will have to add a buffer like neutral regulator if you want a 7.0 ph our one of the African buffers if you want a higher Ph. If the water is to be used for freshwater you will also need to use a R/O water conditioner to add back all the electrolytes.

?

What ro units box did you get that off of?

These are the answers I get every time, general, non specific responses that shy around the question at hand.

Is it easily changeable? Yes or no? If you read thru the original post I need the pH at about 5.5-6.5 I think I wrote 7 would be too high for the fish I want.

If you want a ph lower than 7 use discus buffer it will get you down to we're you want to be. Go to dr fosters.com They sell everything you need. You need to do some research for your self . Look up the buffers and r/o conditioners that I mentioned and read the directions. I didn't get a thing off a box I use r/o water on all my tanks I know what I'm talking about.

If you want a ph lower than 7 use discus buffer it will get you down to we're you want to be. Go to dr fosters.com They sell everything you need. You need to do some research for your self . Look up the buffers and r/o conditioners that I mentioned and read the directions. I didn't get a thing off a box I use r/o water on all my tanks I know what I'm talking about.

Another thing that I've tried. With no luck. Tested on a 5.5 gal aquarium for 5 days with no different test results thru liquid and electronic tests.

The research I have done has yielded no answers, every ro/di website I have emailed has given me a different response and will not tell me exactly what I can expect from a unit and what I will need to do with the treated water. Ex add a cup of acid buffer to get it to 6.0 and stay there for a week. Have talked to multiple lfs and have gotten no where there either. All they want to do is sell me one or say I don't need it.

No one can tell me if its stable water rather then the 12-24hr spikes I get in my tap water. I understand that everyone's situation is different, but, the end result must be the same no mater what as everyone is putting water thru a similar system. Yeah most ppl use em for salt stuff but I need it for wild apistos/angels/discus.

One guy says I won't be able to get any hardness or pH readings from ro/di water.

Next website says I just need a ro unit to get the water soft.

The last place says buy the biggest system you can.

Ok. Why?

Take my tap water to a place to have it double checked, and so they see what the parameters are and they just say its fine. What? No. Answer my question! One place actually said I had 0 hardness, and 3 TDS. On water out of my tap that I tested before I left my house with it and had readings of moderately hard and 350-400 TDS.

This is the run around I have been getting for the last 6 months while I have been looking at ro/di systems. Hence why I don't have one. No one will say, yes, it will work and do what you are looking to accomplish.

See where the utter anger and frustration comes from?

ro/di makes my tds=0 and my ph no higher than 7. I have well water where I live and wouldnt dare drink it. my ro/di system is used for my tanks and I fill the 5 gallon jugs for my water system. No lie, my tds out of the tap was like much higher than yours....
So this is not any advice???

?

What ro units box did you get that off of?

These are the answers I get every time, general, non specific responses that shy around the question at hand.

Is it easily changeable? Yes or no? If you read thru the original post I need the pH at about 5.5-6.5 I think I wrote 7 would be too high for the fish I want.

Do not reply to a thread if you do not know and or can not answer a question. There was no help or advice given, other then what anyone can pick up and read off a box. I was not being rude, but now I am and will be because of your post.
So you think replying to posts from other members like the above replies is not being rude, do you honestly think people are going to bother helping or trying to help, if you reply to posts like that. Maybe that's why there are so little replies to it. If someone replied to you like that when you are trying to help, would you be happy or if you were reading the thread, would you rush to help. I would guess not, maybe that's why nobody has. Calm down, re-read your question, the replies you got and the replies you gave... Maybe you should give the rules of this forum a read.....
PS... For the record, I don't know the answer to your question!!!

I'll say it again.....I have zero TDS and will clarify i have no pH from my ro/do unit.

is your pH easily changeable? of course. is it advisable? Probably not. a sudden pH fluctuation will kill your fish in a heartbeat. I didn't read that fact anywhere, I crashed the pH and killed an entire tank in under 10 minutes. If you are wanting to put your pH to a certain level and keep it there forever, aint gonna happen unless you maintain your tank properly to keep it there. the ro/di will give you the water with low pH, that's it. what happens after is up to you.

I'm not gonna get into all the science of the ro/di and everything it does, but all you are concerned about is it removes tds and lowers pH. Next time I get around to it I will actually test the water in my holding tank that comes directly from the ro/di unit to see what the pH is. typically it's around 6-ish. with all that is going on in my tanks it comes up to around 6.6. I have an angelfish tank. I have a discus tank. I have two saltwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom