Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to AkainePSP Send a message via MSN to AkainePSP Send a message via Yahoo to AkainePSP
ro/di ???

Do I put this on my tank or on my water faucet? Please forgive my ignorance.

AkainePSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
You have to attached it to a faucet and make the ro/di water which you then add to you tank.

72 gal All Glass Bowfront Tank, 20 gal Sump
4 x 65 Watt Coralife Light, Mag 7 Return Pump
Aqua C Urchin Pro Skimmer with Mag 3 Pump
50 lbs Tonga Rock, 50 lbs Fiji Rock
40 lbs Base Rock, 2 x Maxijet 1200s
3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Yellow Tang
2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blood Shrimp
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
Hermit Crabs and Snails
Juster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought I was the only one who didn't know this as a newbie....

I had very hard water for my FW tank...and I was told..."Just get a RO/DI Filter". To me...and any newbie..since you have bought you HOB Filter, or Canister Filter (and probably a Diatomic filter by now to fight the algae brough on by your tap water)...you would assume that this "filter" would also be for the aquarium.

...But it is NOT for the tank...think of it as a filter for your TAP water. Then the nice clean "TAP" water...now RO/DI Water... gets added to the tank...and in my case with a bucket.

Most people use RO/DI water for Saltwater Aquariums...they use the RO/DI ONLY and add their salt. A few people use it who have FW tanks to "adjust their Tap water". In my case...by pH was too high at 7.8...so I used 1/2 Tap and 1/2 RO/DI to get the pH to 7.5 or so. Now I use all Tap water for my FW as the water has great KH and I used a pressurized CO2 system to keep my pH at 6.8...and all Alage is kept at bay.

90 Gallon Fresh Water Planted w/ CO2:
7 Brilliant Rasbora, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 1 Red Tailed Shark, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia Loaches

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com