Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RO/DI Advice

Guys,

I am contemplating on buying an RO/DI system, my city water is very hard 179GH, and has a high PH of 7.8. My LFS sells RO Water for $0.75 a gallon, but I can buy a system that i can quickly take down and setup for $129. The reason I am looking at this is because I really wanted German Rams (its what I have always wanted), and I know they're very sensitive to water conditions, plus it should be healthier for the other fish too. I am in the process of setting up my 36 Gallon, and now would be a good time to set this up before I really start adding stock to the tank. What are your opinions on if I should do this or not.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My idea is to not use 100% pure throughout the tank, but to cut it 50/50 50 Tap, and 50 RO.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did this, 50:50 cut for several years. (Just test the mix beforehand)

Normal water changes (15-30%) should present no problems.

RO Questions
(Other RO info)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post
I did this, 50:50 cut for several years. (Just test the mix beforehand)

Normal water changes (15-30%) should present no problems.

RO Questions
(Other RO info)
Awesome, well I just placed my order from Premium RODI System - Buckeye Hydro the people there were awesome they explained all the setups, and the custom options available if you want to upgrade.

So with that, since I plan to do a 50/50 mix, once i test my mix (outside of the tank) and the readings show fine. Would i just drain 50% from the tank and replenish the drain w/ just pure RO/DI water? Then during the following week, when I drain 30% do a 50/50
mix TAP/RODI?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

NO! (Hold on!)

Add the new mix and allow the water changes to effect "THE" change.
It will get there just by adding the new 50:50 mix.

A 50% addition of pure RO/(DI) will be a significant change in water parameters!

If you want, you can do the 30% everyday for a week but, it will happen anyway over time.

Even the 50:50 cut will be vastly different!
(It'll be about 50% less than the source water across the range of tests)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
NO! (Hold on!)

Add the new mix and allow the water changes to effect "THE" change.
It will get there just by adding the new 50:50 mix.

A 50% addition of pure RO/(DI) will be a significant change in water parameters!

If you want, you can do the 30% everyday for a week but, it will happen anyway over time.

Even the 50:50 cut will be vastly different!
(It'll be about 50% less than the source water across the range of tests)

Here is what I have been doing (still waiting on RO Unit Arrival), I have been testing my TAP 7.4 and Tank Water 8.0. Currently I am finding that I am around 8.0PH 10GH 6KH after 60mins of aerating the water from Tap 5Gallons (Same parms after 24hrs, and it matches my tanks).

So, with knowing that and how long it takes for my tap to settle after its been released into a 5 gallon bucket (presuming high pressure due to cold weather 7.4->8.0 PH in 60mins). I plan to take 2 Gallon of Tap and 2 Gallon of R/O put them in a 5 Gallon bucket, and then test all parms, ill give it 60mins and test again. If I am not satisifed, ill adjust up or down w/ RO (maybe only 60/40RO 70/30 etc...)

IF the parms are within reasonable range, I see no reason to just add the 50% (if thats the mix i settle on) right now as there is no live stock in this tank (moved my only fish in there to the QT tank till i get this resolved, then obvious Slow Drip Acclimation once I hash this all out).

Do you agree?

If halving works I expect around 7.0PH 5GH 3KH (which KH might require a slight buffer to increase a little to prevent easy PH swings). With those parms I would be able to provide that easily and consistently on a weekly basis.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

PH will be dependent on atmospheric influence. It isn't bound exactly by Kh although this plays a significant role.

Yes 10:6 will give about 5:3.
What I will say, if you end up needing to add a buffer Kh, you may as well convert to a full RO mix. All you need is the GH powder and some scales and your sorted.

This method will be much cheaper than using the dechlorinater product. I just switched over last year, there appears to be no difference except in my wallet!
It depends on how you feel but it is simple enough.

(You could mix in tank slowly with the fish and you'd be dripping it on the way, saves running two tanks, all of my changes happened live, after some tests were carried out of course)

Really it is whatever you're most comfortable doing.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
PH will be dependent on atmospheric influence. It isn't bound exactly by Kh although this plays a significant role.

Yes 10:6 will give about 5:3.
What I will say, if you end up needing to add a buffer Kh, you may as well convert to a full RO mix. All you need is the GH powder and some scales and your sorted.

This method will be much cheaper than using the dechlorinater product. I just switched over last year, there appears to be no difference except in my wallet!
It depends on how you feel but it is simple enough.

(You could mix in tank slowly with the fish and you'd be dripping it on the way, saves running two tanks, all of my changes happened live, after some tests were carried out of course)

Really it is whatever you're most comfortable doing.
Well, the RO/DI unit came in about 6hrs ago and I have it up and running for about 5hrs. I started my test around 3hrs ago (TDS 000)

50/50 Mix:
(This has been the same readout for 3hrs 'of course ill wait till the AM and read again)
7.7-8 (hard to tell which shade)
5 GH, 3 KH 170-180 TDS

TAP:
8.1, 10 GH, 6 KH, 380-400TDS

So, I didn't get exactly what I thought the PH would drop to (7.0-2) but I think I can live with 7.7-8 now that the GH has been really reduced. What do you think? Do you think I should worry about the KH w/ it that low '3'?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 is the lowest I'd go! If you're heavily planted it is too low unless you have a pH controller, these are very expensive!

You should have a constant number for TDS. Do you have a stick test?
(TDS meter handheld type)
Very important tool.

(That's the upper end of slightly hard water. I run my soft tanks around 086 and the others around 116-127 except the puffer fish which is in salt (3040tds approx).)

To achieve that, you'd need the Kh buffer. (I've only used NT labs) it works!
No deaths!
The pH will change, it is influenced by the atmosphere. The other readings will not.
(Providing the sample was well mixed)

Once you have the test data, a quick TDS reading is all you need to do each time you mix. That's what I do. I test the tanks GH/Kh from time to time but, if you change enough water they are always where I think they will be.

Your 50:50 mix would be ok for a lot of fish!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
3 is the lowest I'd go! If you're heavily planted it is too low unless you have a pH controller, these are very expensive!

You should have a constant number for TDS. Do you have a stick test?
(TDS meter handheld type)
Very important tool.
Yeah I purchased one, every time i test the mix its either 175-7 (so i just put a range number)

Amazon.com: HM Digital TDS-4 Pocket Size TDS Tester Meter Without Digital Thermometer, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 2% Readout Accuracy: Home Improvement

Quote:
The pH will change, it is influenced by the atmosphere. The other readings will not.
(Providing the sample was well mixed)
Very well mixed, stir and air stone in (4way gang valve) each bucket (TAP, Mix, RO)

Quote:
Once you have the test data, a quick TDS reading is all you need to do each time you mix. That's what I do. I test the tanks GH/Kh from time to time but, if you change enough water they are always where I think they will be.
So you're saying once I find the right mix all I have to do is match the TDS each time and it will produce the same mix?

Quote:
Your 50:50 mix would be ok for a lot of fish!
Trying to make this a great tank for really only GBR's

So in this situation knowing this will be for GBR's (very possible breeding) would you bother messing with the KH (3) or just leave this as the right mix (provided everything tests good in the AM)? I always do a weekly water change (used to be 50% but going to do 30% and I can do this 2 times a week if needed)

ALSO:
Do you have any resources I could read up on, for making your own water "Straight RO/DI w/ mixing agents to achieve what you want?"

Tags
advice, rodi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com