RO-DI Flooding Disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I just wanted to share my catastrophe with everyone, and also ask a question regarding the culprit equipment. I have had this RO-DI unit for a year now. It has worked wonderfully and I have had no complaints - until yesterday. I think it all started last month, when I changed out the filters on the unit. I made sure to re-tighten all the fittings, but I was getting a leak out of one of the tubes - but only if I would let the water flow into the holding tank. So, for the time being, I would make water as I needed it. Well that soon got old, so I went in Sunday night to try to fix my issue. And, that seemed to work - as I kept checking it throughout the day - no leaks in sight. So, I went to bed that night and let it go as normal (big mistake - I wish I would've just shut the water off!) Apparently over night, one of the tubes popped out of it's fitting, causing water to continuously (and rapidly) flow out all night. I awoke to standing water in that bathroom, and drenched carpets in three rooms. Ugh! However, the tube in question was not the tube that was originally having a leaking issue.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. Or, if anyone has any ideas how I can fix my leaky tubing issue. My unit is a 6-stage from FilterDirect.com - similar to the one here: http://filterdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30

Any comments, suggestions, remedies would be greatly appreciated!

Have you contacted them? Which tube leaked? I feel your pain about the water everwhere.

I know this doesn't help you with your actual question, but make sure that carpet gets thoroughly dried - including the pad underneath. Depending on how do-it-yourself you are, pulling up the carpet at the tack strip and forcing air underneath might be a good option. Or... hire one of those "water disaster" type contractors to come it and take care of it for you. You don't want mildew/mold in your carpet pad. (Unless you're only planning on staying in the place for a year or so!)

I feel your pain. All the major "issues" we've had in our house have been water issues. Three over the course of 15 years. That's why I couldn't believe I was actually going to put 46 gallons of saltwater in my living room, in a glass box! :lol:

The tube that popped off was the initial tube running from the water source into the unit itself, so it was a rapid leak. I took on the task of water clean-up by myself. I used my carpet cleaner to suck up all the excess water. It literally took me about 7 hours to get the carpet fairly dry.

I did not contact Filter Direct yet. I don't know what they would do besides provide me with new tubes/fittings, but I guess it couldn't hurt...

Just a little advice. Fairly dry is not good enough to keep out the mold. Yours sounds like a major flood. One that requires fans to dry the whole place out. As Kurt mentioned, you don't want mildew/mold which will occur without completely drying out the place. Sorry to hear as I always worry about water problems. Good luck with it all.

Well, everything is completely dry now. I'm surprised no one else has come forth with the same issues regarding this unit. It seems to me that the tubes and fittings are very cheap. The tubes can literally be pulled right out of the fitting - so I'm not surprised that the pressure from the water flowing into the unit caused it to pop out. I think it's a major design flaw...

I was wondering if there was an update on your unit. I've had similar problems in that my in hose occasionally leaks and I have to take it apart and add plumbers tape to seal it up again. Definitely think it's a design flaw. I only keep my water on when I need to fill the reservoir.

I would make sure there is no blockage in the tube and the fittings do not have any "crust" on the.

msamsonz28 said:
I was wondering if there was an update on your unit. I've had similar problems in that my in hose occasionally leaks and I have to take it apart and add plumbers tape to seal it up again. Definitely think it's a design flaw. I only keep my water on when I need to fill the reservoir.

I still have the same unit. I have since removed all the hoses and replaced the teflon tape with new. I have moved into a new house, so am apprehensive in leaving the water on. So, I also turn the main water line off when I'm not using the unit. It seems that most RO/DI unit are made with cheap parts...

Guest fittings are good fittings. You need to push the tube all the way in and it should not pull out no matter how hard you try. The tube has to be pushed in to remove it. Just make you check these items as normal maintenance.

Sorry to hear about the wet carpet. I think we all have been there at one time.

Back
Top Bottom