ro/di help advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mghslowell

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone so i am in the massachusetts area and have been topping off my tank with regular tap water,. now usualy i let it sit for a day but sometimes there is no time. but anywho i want my reef to strive so i think its time for a ro/di system

i was thinking since i dont have a cold water outlet cept for outside and it freezes in the winter i was thinking of having a 30 gallon trash barrel as my holding tank and run the tap through a pump through a ro/di unit and into the barrel for storage to fill and top off my tank and for water changes how does that sound? any ideas on what kind of pump? could i just take regular garden hose for ro/di interface and cut the other end and affix to to my pump ?

Using a garden hose IMO is not a good idea because of what there made of.
Not sure I am following what you want to do>
Do you have a washing machine in the house? If so there is your water hook up.
You cna tap into a copper water pipe in the house, they have a saddle clap water hook up for this.. You have room under a sink for a ro/di?
there are many ways to hook these units up.

i have room under the sink for one but what about a holding tank ? or just each time i want to fill just turn on the valve ? and fill into a 5 g bucket ?

ok ok i just scoped out the sink area its doable. now i just turn the valve to open and it goes through the ro/di and then out and into my bucket now how do i treat for salinity just mix before tank insert ?

just finding the most cleanest healthiest way to replenish my tank thanks !

i also have a sump with uv and protein skimming 10 gallon under tank

If you bought a RO unit with a solenoid on it (auto shut-off) then you can plumb the output line to a rubbermaid tub of desired size and install a float valve ($20) that will shut your RO off after the tub is full (you can buy an add-on solenoid if your's doesn't have one). Then all you need to do is dip a jug into it for top-offs and when you need to do water changes, you can dump it into another tub for mixing (or use a small powerhead) .

Ideally, if you can swing it, route another line from the RO (split with a T fitting) to the tanks' sump and put a float valve in that. then you don't need to worry about top-offs, they're done for you automatically and keep your system at a constant water level.

Ryan

I fill up a 32 gal rubber maid garbage can and mix my water in there. Mix water and bring up to temp and proper salinity for at least 24 hours before adding to tank.
I also have a 55 gal barrel filled with top off water. I now everyone does not have room for this, just letting you know what I do. I run phwer heads in both tubs for circulation.

Back
Top Bottom