Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
RO/DI installation?

Hmm not really sure about this RO/DI thing but im getting into saltwater so I'd like to get one setup. How exactly do you install it? Any links I can read up on it at? Old threads? Thanks

65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A good system will come with instructions.

If you havn't bought the system yet, then you need to decide which type you want.

Plumbing side: You can get a vampire tap into the water and drain supplies, this is easy, but can never be removed without repairing the pipe. There are garden hose thread adapter, which is great if you want to install this in a laundry room where you already have a threaded tap available. There's a faucet diverter to hook up to a normal faucet, but I don't think that's very nice for a permanent hookup. For both the hose thread and faucet adapters, you can support the unit above sink level, and let the drain line run into the sink.

Output: If you want to use the RO water for family drinking/cooking as well as the tank, invest in the pressure tank and faucet. You may have to drill a hole in your sink to mount it. If this is going to be used for fish only purposes, then consider a float valve and resivior, you'll get more water out of the float valve setup than the pressure tank.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
Alright thanks.
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I split my utility sink tap with a valved splitter and run my RO/DI on one side and have a hose with a nozzle on it. The hose has proven to be so valuable because I can increase the spray pressure and clean things like my skimmer cup, filters and other stuff in half the time.

Tags
ro/di, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com