RO/DI issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxxmann

Aquarium Advice Activist
I hope this is in the right forum.
I am getting some PO4 in my water that comes out of my unit. The unit is only 4 months old. Any thoughts as to what I might do? The amount is 0.17ppm. I have a PO4 reactor running on the sump. The tank reads zero, but I am sure the hair algae is holding it all in. I bought a sea hare tonight to try and get the growth under control, but I know that is not the root of the problem. TIA.

Moved your thread to the general equipment forum.

Have you tested your tap water for PO4? If not test that and see what you get. Is the PO4 reading you are getting in the pure RO/DI water or after you mix new SW?

What unit do you have? How many stages is it?

It is a Coralife 4 stage unit. I had the pure RO/DI water tested. Can I use the same test on tap water? I test the water and get zero. My LFS tested it w/ a machine that uses light to detect the PO4 and got 0.17.

You already know what I think Matt. Go by the test readings and add some calerpa.

I'd replace your DI resin and test again. 0.17ppm phosphates on the output is a HUGE amount to sneak through, and any good DI resin should be able to strip that out.

If the cartridge the DI resin was in wasn't sealed air tight when you got it, it could've been depleted right out of the box.

the di cartridge was in plastic wrap when i got it. my test kit (salifert) still is reading 0.

Back
Top Bottom