RO/DI PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NateNBeckie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, I know I read it somewhere, but I can't find it.

RO/DI water has a very low PH. Even too low for most FW systems (6.4 or so). How do you guys that use RO/DI water get ethe PH to match the tank PH?

Nate

Technicly RO/DI water should have a PH of 7.0 as it is the purest form of water and would have a netural PH vs acidic or basic. There is no need to match the PH of the tank when adding top off water as the qty of water your adding is fairly small and when you mix up the RO/DI water with the salt mix there are buffers in the salt mix to increase the PH.

Ok cool.

But what about doing water changes in my FW tank? I checked the PH of the RO/DI and it's 6.4 ish, and I've read it here too.

Nate

Well given you posted here in the SW forum I figured we was talking about a SW tank. For FW I dont know as I dont keep them but there are buffers that can be used to adjust PH up if need be.

I was talking about both actually, but since you answered my SW question, I figured I'd continue on about the FW.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom