Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

RO/DI Pressure

I have a 4 stage BRS 75 gpd RODI filter, and the manual says to keep the pressure above 50PSI. I have to turn the black valve on top of the unit until it is almost completely shut to get the pressure up to 50. Should I get pressure up to 50 with the valve open all the way??
Am I doing something wrong or do I need a booster pump?

I want to get the 150GPD water saver upgrade to help save my parents some $$ on water.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Pretty sure the knob is a flush/rinse control.
Should be closed to make water flow through entire system.
When open there is 0 pressure since it is rinsing the filters(this makes them last longer).

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks CB. My pressure is holding steady at 52PSI now, good for this ser up not so good for the upgrade.

My DI resin canister doesn't seem to be filling up with water very fast now. It only has 2" of water in it. All the other canisters are full, will it fill up as I run the unit?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

First loosen the DI while the system is 'open'(water flowing) and let the canister fill to very top with water before sealing/closing.
Ask me how I know?
6 stage DUAL DI with 1 extra canister in front of it all.
I always have to bleed off air when I change the di resin(love the color changing resin even with tds meters built in to my system).
Even with that you will see 'air' possibly while the system is open,but the canister will be full of water under closed pressure....
I tee off before my di so I don't burn it up for my rams water(way over 50% of my RO!).
The meter helps when color is changing.
The upgrade interest me soooo much but.....
would need booster pump(no big deal) and then electric float shutoffs for storage vessel...I have 2 containers now(1 di 1 not)that are ALL GOOD with standard BRS float valves.
I will admit I am not really that comfortable with all it would take to get what I want with the upgrade?.
I schedule and store water like a hoarder!(44/32/5@5 for ro , ro/di)and I prep my tap in 32s also....

I will say 1 canister in front of your system with a 5 micron filter($2.99) will make the whole rest of your system run better/last longer.
I use old school label maker and date each can.
That and the flush valve will make buying the expensive parts way farther apart.
I try to change my 5 micron every 30 days,even thoughthe built in pressure gauge hasn't risen much.

All in all I am happy with my BRS.
Don't close the canisters too tight!They are a SOB to open sometimes(for real!).....
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
First loosen the DI while the system is 'open'(water flowing) and let the canister fill to very top with water before sealing/closing.
Ask me how I know?
6 stage DUAL DI with 1 extra canister in front of it all.
I always have to bleed off air when I change the di resin(love the color changing resin even with tds meters built in to my system).
Even with that you will see 'air' possibly while the system is open,but the canister will be full of water under closed pressure....
I tee off before my di so I don't burn it up for my rams water(way over 50% of my RO!).
The meter helps when color is changing.
The upgrade interest me soooo much but.....
would need booster pump(no big deal) and then electric float shutoffs for storage vessel...I have 2 containers now(1 di 1 not)that are ALL GOOD with standard BRS float valves.
I will admit I am not really that comfortable with all it would take to get what I want with the upgrade?.
I schedule and store water like a hoarder!(44/32/5@5 for ro , ro/di)and I prep my tap in 32s also....

I will say 1 canister in front of your system with a 5 micron filter($2.99) will make the whole rest of your system run better/last longer.
I use old school label maker and date each can.
That and the flush valve will make buying the expensive parts way farther apart.
I try to change my 5 micron every 30 days,even thoughthe built in pressure gauge hasn't risen much.

All in all I am happy with my BRS.
Don't close the canisters too tight!They are a SOB to open sometimes(for real!).....
I'll see how much air I can bleed off in a bit. When I put my finger over the end of the output line the water rose to the top, but then came back down after I took my finger off.

My dad about setting the unit up with a saddle valve closer to the main to see if the pressure gets up to 65PSI. The 4:1 waste ratio is crazy imo

Thanks for the tip on tightening the canisters

Tags
rodi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com