Ro/di question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I started my 10g saltwater tank and I have to purchase a system and was wondering I have a 60g cube I'm going to do saltwater so it would need to produce a good bit! I was want to know if when it goes through the system if I could use it for my freshwater tanks to without adding declorintor? I want to just hook it to the sink and hook my python up and set the same temp on the faucet and just run it In my tank instead of filling a bucket up adding declorintor and pouring the bucket in? I don't know if the unit takes out all the bad stuff out like declorintor??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

RO water for freshwater fish is not a good idea. Most of the trace elements and minerals fish need are removed in the process. You could use the RO water if you add some sort of trace elements back into the water like seachems fresh trace or flourish trace.

Has anybody came up with a good way to to water changes without pouring water in with buckets?? I hurt my back and cannot pick up heavy stuff

Like you said, hook a python to a faucet with the temp right, and just dose the dechlorinator to the tank. I assume you use prime as a dechlorinator when changing water?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't know you could do that! I thought the stuff in the water would hurt my fish before the declorintor worked!

Oh no, you can double dose prime and it wouldn't hurt the fish. It adds some minerals and other stuff that actually help fish, while dechlorinating the water. It's actually better if you dose the whole tank to prevent any slip ups, if you forget a bucket per say

Like you said, hook a python to a faucet with the temp right, and just dose the dechlorinator to the tank. I assume you use prime as a dechlorinator when changing water?

So if I do just run tap water into the tank with my python I would have to dose the whole tank with prime before I add water of course! My question example my tank is 60g so dose it for 60g when i have like a 50% of my water already gone? Will that be ok for my fish? I'm sorry just a little confused

I usually dose the qty of water I'm adding. I don't know if that's right.

But dose while you are adding water in, not before.

I usually dose the qty of water I'm adding. I don't know if that's right.

But dose while you are adding water in, not before.

That's what I have always done and never had any issues , like yourself I am not sure if it is correct but it has worked up to this point without any bad results from doing so. I will mix my declornator with some water and add it a little at a time while filling tank.

As per prime instructions for adding water directly to tank(via "python" waterchanger)dose water conditioner for volume of entire tank.
Not just water replaced.
This is the difference in buckets and water changers besides allowing your water to stabilize by outgassing also when prepped.
I don't use water changers but many who do.
They all dose for tank volume.

So I started my 10g saltwater tank and I have to purchase a system and was wondering I have a 60g cube I'm going to do saltwater so it would need to produce a good bit! I was want to know if when it goes through the system if I could use it for my freshwater tanks to without adding declorintor? I want to just hook it to the sink and hook my python up and set the same temp on the faucet and just run it In my tank instead of filling a bucket up adding declorintor and pouring the bucket in? I don't know if the unit takes out all the bad stuff out like declorintor??

All you do, and here is what I do step by step on all the big tanks that me and my brother maintain.

Step 1: run faucet and stick a thermometer under the water and adjust the temperature 2 degrees above tank temperature.

Step 2: Dose for 60 gallons of water, in this case 1 capful and a little extra.

Step 3: hook up end of python to the faucet (I have a faucet with a slick end, so I took off the adapter for the tubing and hook the tubing directly to the faucet) preferably stick the side of the python with the vacuum tube (big ol thing) and stick it on a rock or something to break up the flow of it coming in.

Step 4: wait for it to fill up! And once it is at the level you want, cut of the flow and empty the python into the tank. This allows for a little over what you want, and it goes into the filters (if you HOBs that like to drain) and will level out your water.

And there you have it.

All you do, and here is what I do step by step on all the big tanks that me and my brother maintain.

Step 1: run faucet and stick a thermometer under the water and adjust the temperature 2 degrees above tank temperature.

Step 2: Dose for 60 gallons of water, in this case 1 capful and a little extra.

Step 3: hook up end of python to the faucet (I have a faucet with a slick end, so I took off the adapter for the tubing and hook the tubing directly to the faucet) preferably stick the side of the python with the vacuum tube (big ol thing) and stick it on a rock or something to break up the flow of it coming in.

Step 4: wait for it to fill up! And once it is at the level you want, cut of the flow and empty the python into the tank. This allows for a little over what you want, and it goes into the filters (if you HOBs that like to drain) and will level out your water.

And there you have it.

Thank you so much!! That helped me out alot!!

No problem. Considering trying to get a sticky thread with that :D

Back
Top Bottom