RO/DI Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been battling hair algae for a while now and I believe it's because I need to change out the filters in my RO/DI unit. I ordered the replacement filters for all 5 stages but was only able to change the DI membrane and Stage 4 right now because I can't get the three large filter compartments open. So if anyone has any insight on how to unscrew them, I would appreciate it.

My main question is . . . which filter in the RO/DI unit filters out Phosphates? I think it is the DI and I am hoping that with these new filters I will be able to get this hair algae under control. The filters were about 10 months old I believe.

Thanks in advance for your input.

tripper

Hmmm.. came with a wrench didn't it?
I'd say close the in feed and drain the unit as much as possible (open flush and outlet), the water might be creating some sorta vaccuum.

My ro/di is still fairly new, so I havn't had to research the specific filters yet, sry :/

I dont have mine yet but I think they come with a wrench dont they. Let me know how it turns out.

I don't think mine came with a wrench. I guess I'll have to go searching for it tonight and see what I come up with. I was hoping a good strong twist would do the trick, but either I am weak, or that's not going to work.

If anyone knows where I could get a spare wrench (assuming I don't find mine), please let me know. I bought my RO/DI from filtersdirect on ebay.

Also, does anyone know if the DI membrane is responsible for removing phosphates from the water?

Thanks!

tripper

I think you have to have the wrench esp if its stuck because the pressure has to be applied at the top or as close as possible.

you can get a wrench from a hardware store like HD or sears, since the housings are standardized with any kind of "whole house" filter

it looks like a giant hollow plastic lollipop

In reference to your second post, tripper...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the DI membrane doesn't remove phosphates, rather it just will not allow the phosphates thru the DI membrane. I know, whatever... :roll: But yeah, I think it's the DI membrane that's responsible for that.

Back
Top Bottom