Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
RO DI Question

I have asked this before and recd a little feedback but want to ask again. I have a 4 stage RO DI system and am having to replace the filters pretty frequently. I found the sediment and carbon block fairly reasonable at Sams Wholesale per the suggestion of someone here.
Also per a couple of you - you are buying resin and simply buying a blank filter cartidge and refilling it once its worn out. Im going that route. My questions are these..
-how do you know when the resin is exhausted? I have one of the filters that says it will turn a color..is that color red?
-ALso where do you find the resin in bags? Someone mentioned AWI.com and that is the only place I have been able to find it in bags...I need a couple more place.
Any and all help is appreciated

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You need a TDS meter to check the water and that will tell you when you need to change out the resin. 0 is waht we want on a TDS reading, I run my filters up to 16-19 on the TDS. As long as I have 0 PO4 and NO3 I keep using the filters. Some guys change it out as soon as it starts going up.

AWI has some good resin and so does resindepot, I have used them both.
the color is a orange when its used up. But get none color change and a TDS meter. The non color change is usually cheaper.
I picked up the in-line TDS meter from AWI and I love it..
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com