Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
RO/DI Question/s.....

We've just moved into a new house out in the country that currently has an untreated well water supply. We've already had it tested before buying and had a coliform bacteria issue treated and we know that we have high nitrates(20+mg/L) due to extensive farming all around us (Amish country) I'm looking to get a RO/DI unit off of Ebay that will serve as the under kitchen sink filter for all our drinking water and for the aquariums. What seller's have everyone had success with lately? Second, can I buy or hook up the RO so that I can use the tap at the sink for drinking water but still fill buckets up from under the sink? If anyone knows, how good is RO/DI at removing bacteria from the water? We're looking at getting a whole house UV filter at some point just to be safe? If anyone else uses a similar setup let me know. Thanks for any help.

Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

"Bacteria range in size from 0.2 to 5 microns and viruses from 0.005 to 0.1 microns"

The best of the RO/DI filters are 1 micron.

I went with a typhoon III from Walt at airwaterice.com

You should be able to have both a storage container for drinking water and a hose off off that for filling your top off tank.

You might want to check this web site for more information on well water.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the typhoon 3 also and it is a great uinit and walter is great to deal with. You can get cheaper units on ebay that do the same thing but if your not sure gettign it from AWI will be a piece of mind knowing your getting what you need. And they will not sell you things you don't need just to make more $$
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-110GPD-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-water-filter-system_W0QQitemZ7706470041QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

I got this one off of ebay and it was really easy to install and cheap. I use it for drinking water and tank water. It is a 6 stage, and sells extra DI resin seperatley so you you can refill when needed which is nice. They have good tech support, and a 1 or 2 year warranty.
The only thing other you may need is that if you have severe bacterial problems you might need to get a UV to hook up with it and if your water is over 1000ppm hardness, a water softner is needed. It sounds like youre in a heavily polluted area, I would definitley get the UV no matter which one you got just to be safe.
Fish are friends, not food

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com