RO/DI Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenatron

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so after careful consideration I have decided to get an RO/DI system. I would like to also drink the RO. I've seen the systems that "tee-off" before the DI portion. I have an understanding of what that means, but I don't know what that means in terms of doing it. From what I've seen, I'd be better off getting a good RO/DI system and then do the changes myself. So first question:
1) How do you "tee-off" before DI? Is it complicated? Is it something my handy dad could figure out? :lol:
The majority of my information was gathered from The Reef Tank, where they have an apparent resident RO/DI guru. He mentioned "drinking water kits" frequently.
2) Is this essentially the plumbing for separate RO? Is this simple as well? :lol:
We're going to be in an apartment and don't want to mess with the plumbing under the sink. I've read a couple of time about using a faucet adapter; Same a before: I understand what it does, but I want a deeper understanding of how it's physically done.
3) What type of adapter is it?
4) How is it attached?
And finally: this said guru recommended some obnoxiously expensive unit, yet said you could get one for ~$200 and be fine. Any personal suggestions?

I'm sorry if this is really obnoxious and seems simple but:
A) I have no knowledge of any of this, and searching hasn't really helped in these areas. This is over my barely-adult-head.
B) I'm one of those people who wants everything 100% figured out. I don't like "learning on the fly." I want to understand completely before I buy anything.

Again: sorry! Thanks so much. :)

I got mine from bulkreefsupply.com and it came with a faucet adapter. I'll have to take a pic of mine and see if I can upload it on here from my iphone. I had to buy a piece from Lowe's that screws into where the aerator goes...and then my faucet adapter screws on the other end.

That isn't my pic (found it on google) but that is what my faucet adaptor looks like. The tubing goes in the small end and the larger end screws on my piece from Lowes.

I'm not the best person to explain how it works...I can't even tell you want that piece is called...haha. But I can give you pics!

Attachments

• hosebib1.jpg
    hosebib1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 51
Thank you! I'm grateful for any help at this point. Also, I looked at Bulk Reef Supply, they make it sooo easy for reef vs. drinking water, way easier than any other site I've seen thus far.

At a b-day party and wandered over to some water place, .49 a gallon, new RO|DI unit 699.00, reconditioned 399.00.

Yikes!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

As previous mentioned before, I'd try bulkreefsupply.com there's a lot of good stuff and good prices too

The smaller piece is what i got from Lowes. One end is 1 inch and the other is 3/4 inch. Had to get that to make the faucet adapter fit.

The other pic is a faucet diverter that came with my unit as well and it will fit the 3/4 end of my small piece and it has an aerator on it.

Attachments

• image-4058997323.jpg
    image-4058997323.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1034903953.jpg
    image-1034903953.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom