Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ro di reactors

So I am thinking about getting myself a ro di reactor, what is the best out there (price, quality, effectiveness, etc.) now I don't want to go too crazy in price but I'm looking for brand names that are very trusted.

Also, what should I look for in them like what components should I keep an eye out for?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

And if I do buy one could I set it up to just make the water? Like in a different room so I don't have to mount it to the tank? I want it to make water to mix and top off with, possible?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I've never heard them called Ro/di reactors but a good place for Ro/di systems is bulk reef supply. Don't have one but from posts on here they are good.

What size tank will determine the size you need. They are rated in gpd ( gallons per day). Usually 75 100 and 150 gpd.

They will be set up where your water source is. Either a sink or spicket. I got mine with a hose adapter and bought a y valve an have it hooked up to the cold water supply for my washing machine. You can make then "portable" where you just unhook it and put it away when done.

Additional things would be a tds (total disolved solids) meter. You can get handheld units or ones that go on the water lines of your unit. This shows you how dirty the water is and should be 0 on the purified water.

Also some people get pressure gauges to monitor, this can tell you when the filters are getting clogged.

If you house has low water pressure you may need a booster pump as well.

The only other thing would be bins to store the water. I use 35 gallon rubber maid trash cans.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya that's what I was thinking about is making it portable, something I can store when not in use, I was just planning in using 5 gal bucked to store water.

And advice and what to buy and what to look for?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

How big of a tank? How often do you do water changes and how much? How much evaporation are you getting?

I use a 75gpd unit and I'm running a 55gal tank with a total volume of about 70-75 gallons. I do 5-10 gallon water changes every 1-2 weeks and use about 5 gallons a week in top off.

I made the mistake of getting a cheap unit off eBay and am now going to be upgrading to one from bulk reef supply.

If you don't go with them I would look for things like how many stages as they come in 3-6 stages. The more stages are usually better and means your changing filters less often. I would look for a unit that has good construction, and readily available filters. I've been looking a lot and honestly would seriously consider just getting one from bulk reef supply.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also look for a unit that comes with the adapter you want as there are several ways to hook them up
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I use a Bulk Reef Supply system, and have been extremely satisfied with it. It is a good balance of quality and price.

BRS 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

They give a decent discount if you get it on a group buy. Very competitive replacement filter costs from them as well.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 55gal with no sump. I really don't get that much evaporation
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

A 50 or 75 would be fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok could I make them one what portable??

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com