Ro di reactors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monroe10

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am thinking about getting myself a ro di reactor, what is the best out there (price, quality, effectiveness, etc.) now I don't want to go too crazy in price but I'm looking for brand names that are very trusted.

Also, what should I look for in them like what components should I keep an eye out for?

And if I do buy one could I set it up to just make the water? Like in a different room so I don't have to mount it to the tank? I want it to make water to mix and top off with, possible?

Well I've never heard them called Ro/di reactors but a good place for Ro/di systems is bulk reef supply. Don't have one but from posts on here they are good.

What size tank will determine the size you need. They are rated in gpd ( gallons per day). Usually 75 100 and 150 gpd.

They will be set up where your water source is. Either a sink or spicket. I got mine with a hose adapter and bought a y valve an have it hooked up to the cold water supply for my washing machine. You can make then "portable" where you just unhook it and put it away when done.

Additional things would be a tds (total disolved solids) meter. You can get handheld units or ones that go on the water lines of your unit. This shows you how dirty the water is and should be 0 on the purified water.

Also some people get pressure gauges to monitor, this can tell you when the filters are getting clogged.

If you house has low water pressure you may need a booster pump as well.

The only other thing would be bins to store the water. I use 35 gallon rubber maid trash cans.

Ya that's what I was thinking about is making it portable, something I can store when not in use, I was just planning in using 5 gal bucked to store water.

And advice and what to buy and what to look for?

How big of a tank? How often do you do water changes and how much? How much evaporation are you getting?

I use a 75gpd unit and I'm running a 55gal tank with a total volume of about 70-75 gallons. I do 5-10 gallon water changes every 1-2 weeks and use about 5 gallons a week in top off.

I made the mistake of getting a cheap unit off eBay and am now going to be upgrading to one from bulk reef supply.

If you don't go with them I would look for things like how many stages as they come in 3-6 stages. The more stages are usually better and means your changing filters less often. I would look for a unit that has good construction, and readily available filters. I've been looking a lot and honestly would seriously consider just getting one from bulk reef supply.

Also look for a unit that comes with the adapter you want as there are several ways to hook them up

I have a 55gal with no sump. I really don't get that much evaporation

You can make any of them portable it's just what you use for the connections.

If you get a faucet or hose adapter those come off easy. If you get one that taps a line those are not portable.

Ok I will most likely just do the hose connection way when I actually buy one lol

I was looking for the same.. I have 75 fresh water and I 50 water changes weekly for my discus.. I figured its time for my own RO system.. My water has high phosphates level and its hard water.. What type of Cartrige should I get.. Also these bulk reef system require how muh psi.. Thanks

Ya I just looking for what is the best I should look for and some brand names to keep an eye out for

The BRS systems need around 50-60psi to function well.
If you don't have that (most city water supplies do) you can use a booster pump.

As far as what cartridges it really depends. The standard setup for a 5 stage is:

Sediment filter
5 micron carbon block
1 micron carbon block
RO membrane
DI canister

Ok I don't live in the city and pretty sure I have a decent water pressure and how much do replacement filters cost for that one?

The filters are like $20 for all 3 and have to be replaced once or twice a year.

The ro membrane is around $35-40 I think but it should last 2-3 years.

The DI resin is around $10 and has to be replaced once or twice a year.

Yeah that's pretty good .. I think I'll go with one of those.. Any recommended model ?

The 5 stage plus model is a great option. The standard filters are fine for most folks but you may want to verify your water supply does not contain chloramines. If you have chloramines it requires a slightly different filter cartridge.

The plus is Better than the standard since it comes with a pressure gauge, a flush valve, and a 2 pt TDS meter - all of which you need in order to properly maintain the system.

Back
Top Bottom