RO/DI running slow? cold outside? Solution!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 100GPD RO/DI was reduced to a drip. It has been fairly cool here at night. My RO/DI is in the garage. I assumed the cold was probably effecting my production.

While surfing the web, I came accross this site:
http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html
It states the following trick:
Melevsreef.com said:
When your source water is very cold, RO units tend to slow down in production rate. They are designed to run with water that is closer to 78° F, which just happens to match our aquariums. Here's a neat trick that will get things back up to speed during the colder months:

Replace the tubing that leads from your cold water pipe to the unit with a 25' long piece. Coil as much of that tubing inside a 5 gallon bucket and fill the bucket up with water so the coils are submerged. Put an aquarium heater in the bucket and set it to 78° F. The heater will keep the bucket water at that temperature, and that water will warm up the water traveling through the tubing to your RO/DI unit. Production rates will jump back to normal.

I tried it and now my RO/DI is producing like crazy! (y) If you are having troubles with yours this winter, I HIGHLY recommend you try this! :D

Yep. the colder water makes it less condusive to the RO process. There is some math formula for calculating the decrese in production based upon the intake temperature but I dont know it.

10 Kudos for that tip. I'm rarely affected by low temp, but every once in a while...

Thanks for that tip!

Yes, thank you. Sounds like low temp is probably to blame. The water around here is nowhere near 78 degrees even in summer. I will definitely try that. Very clever.

Back
Top Bottom