Ro:di system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enervate7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys .
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day!
Just want your guys advice on a decent ro/di water system that will serve up to 50 gallons . How do you even install and where can I find affordable system and containers for the water. I have only two tanks ATM. A 27 gallon and 14 biocube. I'm tired going to lfs and travel for to water. Any site or offers are good? I heard your able to treat tap water and make it sufficient but I'm not too sure on that. Can anyone provide some feedback Thank you !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
bulkreefsupply.com has great deals on 5 stage ro/di. That is where I got mine from. In terms of treating tap for saltwater...there is too much that can build up in our closed systems to try it IMO. I know in my water I have a high level of phosphates, which causes some nasty algae that has taken over a tank once.

That's great! Question Is it possible the ro/di water can be used for drinking as well? If I'm going to spend around 150 and the majority of systems produce at least 100 gallons per day. Can I used the rest of the water for something else? What systems are good just to prepare for weekly water changes ? Name brand is important or just what the product itself can do? I have to install it to my sink . What supplies would I need for that? Is there any website that give me instructions on what to do?

Bulkreefsupply.com actually has most if the materials you need. There are options to add this and that depending on if you are adding a drinking faucet, as an example, as you need a pressurized container so you have enough water and pressure built up for a glass or two.
When it comes to installing all of that...I never did the drinking water aspect and not a plumber.

They are easy to plumb in. (I think, but i build things)

75 GPD will do for your two tanks, remember when it's cold they slow considerably, your 50 GPD in winter may struggle to push out 25 GPD. Depends how cold it gets, ground water below 10'C really slows these things down.

All you need to do is drill two holes about 1/4" one on the feed one on the waste.
Plumb accordingly. The self cutter is useless, that's why I pre drill, care must be taken not to squash or dent the feed pipe and to ensure the grommets line up properly over the holes.

TURN WATER OFF FIRST! Use main feed not tank supply or you will have no pressure. (Normally kitchen and bathroom cold are direct from main feed)

I use a 75, it's good for 4 tanks but only just copes with the winter.
(Using normal containers only) 25 litres 1.5 hours in deepest darkest winter.

With a reservoir it's a bit different, you can just leave it on.
25 GPD will produce 25 GPD over 24 hrs at 24'c and 60psi, lower temps slow production, higher temps increase production. Same with pressure, you need at least 40 psi to cross the membrane, I think 60-65 psi is optimum, at least for my membrane.

(I used treated water for years, it's ok for a lot of fish, it depends on your tap water, the fish you have and those you want)

Test your tap water, if it's soft and nitrate free, assuming there is no Chloramine, you don't even need a conditioner. (24 hrs will gas out chlorine) heavy metal binding could be useful though. Conditioners have them.

Soft water you just need GH/Kh powder unless you are reefing it. Hard water is ok but will need RO to soften, it's an equal cut by % pretty much.

RO alone will kill your fish, you need to re mineralise it, a tap water cut is fine, I did it that way for many years and kept many things alive with that water.

Some of my fish have seen the whole transition from tap only through cut RO mix to pure powder/RO. They seem fine.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=200803354291

REEF & HOME DRINKING RO+DI dual output REVERSE OSMOSIS PURE WATER FILTER SYSTEM

Above I purchase this ro/system is is sufficient? As well I purchase a faucet & outdoor hose adapter . I would install but the only issue is space capacity you love in. 900sq. Ft apartment. Please let me know what you think of the item?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pressure gauge is a must, unit has one. Find out what the filter pack is?

The filters will have some impact on the water, it's simple enough to remedy but you need the right kit.

You will need a TDS meter, UK is about £20.
And also a GH and Kh test kit £5-10 (and potentially a GH/Kh powder solution, or tap water for simple cuts)

Find out what each filter does before you get any item.

It should be, water in leads to pod;

1,(5-10) Micron filter Sediment
2,CCB
3,This is variable, could be HMA or another sediment or different type of CCB.
4,RO membrane (from here water is considered EXTRA drinkable, it then gets re-carbonised for taste (sometimes))
5, DI resin

So you could also have
1,sediment
2, CCB
3,RO (Split on a T)
4, DI output. (Fish) 4a, carbon re-filter. (Human)

As it's a mixed unit the plumbing may be different. I've no experience with mixer units. I know that it's possible to use carbon blocks to flavour water to perfect. It could be that the drinking part has it's flavour filter isolated to its separate output line.

Thank you all for your input. I will make sure that all the pieces and equipment are correct. I will install the system and follow up on how the system is working.

Back
Top Bottom