Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RO/DI systems

I have an RO/DI system for my tank, and I'm not too happy with it. Here's a link to what I have:

Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | TYPHOON III AQUARIUM RODI 75 or 100 GPD

I'm wondering if there's such a thing as an RO/DI system that doesn't create as much waste water or one that can generate pure water faster. It's about time for me to replace the filters on the unit I have and I'm thinking about just buying a different one.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe that a high pressure pump can help, but I don't think a different filter will do it.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So if I get a pump and hook that up to the intake from a reservoir, that will end up making pure water faster than just hooking it up to the sink or the faucet I use for hoses outside? I've never heard of that kind of a setup before...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes USWATER makes a unit that is a 1:1 ratio. I have it and its great.

I got a spectrapure MPDI25 unit that was a 1:4 ratio.

permeate pump is what uswater uses.

This is the unit I got
http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/p...llon-Tank.html
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

I'm surprised to hear this. Everyone that I know that has the Typhoon line from AWI loves those units.

Waste is a side-effect of making RODI water. Typical waste to pure water is around 4:1, so you're going to have the waste. I've heard of 1:1 units, but never used them and honestly question their ability to do that. Personally, I use the waste to fill my fresh water tanks. Others collect it and water their plants with it. Finding a use for it is the best idea, because there's just no way to not have it, unfortunately, when producing RO water.

About your performance issues, I'm going to venture a guess (the same guess cabezon had probably) that your house's water pressure is too low to run the unit at max capacity. I have the same problem at my place.

Most RO/DI units need at least 50-75psi water pressure to operate anywhere near the spec, some require upwards of 80-100psi. There's a simple way to test your water pressure, get a unit like this one and place it inline before your RODI unit on the source water supply. This guage will tell you what water pressure you have.

If you find that your water pressure is low (like me, mines around only 30psi) then you can choose to install a booster pump similar to this one.

They're not cheap, unfortunately, but buying a different RODI system will not yield you any better results if your source water pressure is too low and you'll just be back here in the same situation with the new unit as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

1:1 ratios are usually in the 5+ stage range.

I am fortunate to have 80+psi from my water supply.
A new unit wont cure the problem if its indeed the pressure causing it, they are products and they do have flaws at manufacturing, you might have a less then ideal unit that slipped thru QC. Its always a possibility but gauge your tap and see where you are at, remove the accelerators and/or diffusers from the faucet head before attempting to attach the gauge. The faucet heads aerate and increase pressure at times due to flow restrictions.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll take a look at the pressure and see what I can do. If I had to guess the ratio of waste water to pure water, I would say it's around 50:1, and that's being generous.

I'll post back once I've figured out something about the pressure setup. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHorton View Post
I'll take a look at the pressure and see what I can do. If I had to guess the ratio of waste water to pure water, I would say it's around 50:1, and that's being generous.

I'll post back once I've figured out something about the pressure setup. Thanks for the help so far.
50:1 is friggin nuts, how do you have it plumbed?

Im not sure what colors but you are tapped off the cold water supply then have it plumbed into the storage tank or?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The way I have it set up right now is I have an adapter that goes from the kitchen sink to the input of my RO/DI unit, then from that to a storage bucket. I can also have the input come from my hose, since I have an adapter for that. I live in an apartment so I can't really do much with the plumbing that's already there. I know it isn't the best but I still think I can do better...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never had my RO on the faucet adapter but I did have one of those tap water filters they sell that hooks up like that, The issue with those is you cant have alot of pressure on them or the lines pop off. I was with my tap filter(di unit) running it like that to initially fill my 45H and I was MAYBE getting 2gpd out of it that way, tons went down the drain but little made it to the tank.

You might be able to use a saddle valve on the lines under the sinks. that will give more pressure resistance.

Tags
ro/di, stem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com