Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok yeah i cant do anything that requires taking plumbing from something or stays there, because my dad is anal bout that, i just need something i can plug in my bathroom sink for the time of use and take it away, and also even lend to my friend sometimes since we are splitting the cost

here is a pic of my faucet, will my adapter it comes with work? i dont see a way of taking off or screwing on anything, the flow seems decent i suppose. Just let me know if this faucet will work, so i can go ahead and buy a ro unit, ill keep researching but the important thing is WHERE i set it up right now

for the washing machine one, i could consider it, ill have to inspect both my washing machine as well as the ro unit to see how i would place it there permanently, something id rather not do unless a five year old can do it. It sounds nice though.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's not too bad just make sure you shut off the water to the washer and don't try to kink the hose. I did and I had to replace the whole shut off valve, that was a nightmare. Sounds like your best option is the faucet way and most of the units come with them in the box already

Old 12-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes if even you had troubles then i definitely will, especially because if something happens i wont know how to fix it, but i will focus on the bathroom valve, does my pic look like the adapter will work? from the ebay one or from bulkreefsupply
Old 12-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I never used the adapter so no clue usually the adapter would thread onto the faucet. You might need to remove the metal casing, usually they just come off with a cresent wrench. You can google how to clean a faucet head and you'll get a good idea of how the head is removed

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3599906105.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	139469

The adapter for the RO unit should screw into where the head was removed and sorta look just like it

Name:	image-4137569270.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	139470

Name:	image-3359521617.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	139471
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

great pics tyvm. I think i will try to remove it with a wrench, maybe i just cant see the threading because of all the rust and gunk
Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

No problem pick up some plumbers tape too in case of leaks it's under a dollar at Home Depot and is just placed around the threads
Old 12-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine leakes like crazy with the adapter that I bought from my local hardware store - everything screws on properly and i just throw a towel over the faucet so it doesnt spray all over the place. It soaks into the towel then drips heavily down the drain. Maybe I should try some plumbers tape. It seems like the flow of the water is too powerful for the unit and it backs up. Will plumbers tape resolve this issue?
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Plumbers tape can work wonders just make sure the oring that's on it is not cracked as well
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

BRS 5 Stage RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply
BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply
narrowed it to these
one is a 5 stage, but the 4 stage has an air gauge and tds meter built in...hmm suggestions?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

also i took out my aerator to check it out and there was this white thing in the faucet, it fell and went into the drain! its now gone was that piece important? looks like my flow got stronger

do i have to go buy another? if so where and what is it called/how much

edit: well i just noticed there is a complete hole in my faucet now so that white piece must of been important lol

Tags
ro/di, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com