Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ro/di unit

i do not know anything about installing a ro/di unit but i hear they are not hard, however i am reading the description for one i want to buy and im not sure if i can use it

it says i need 35-60 psi but how do i check that for one, and what is the average household psi for a bathroom faucet? my flow in my bathroom sink is really weak, the kitchen is stronger, but would it be ok to use my garden hose? i see a garden hose attachment

here is the product i am thinking of buying, i am open to suggestions, but ease of install is a factor, i dont want something permanent that will just sit there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380341933047...623e12fffab606

please tell me everything i need to know about setting one up, and also any other products i need to buy to make it work

i just want safe water for PWC's my budget is ~150, but ofc the lower the better, i was thinking 60-150. Only recommend ones that are easy install and can be easy removed within minutes, nothing that requires using extra tools and what not, just plug in? if possible to my bathroom or hose

also this Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply

(sorry for making another thread my last one barely got looked at and i want to buy this NOW!)

Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can hook up a gauge on any open line to check the pressure. I would think that most homes have a greater pressure then 35 psi unless this is a well then it could be low. As for connecting you can use the self tapping valve on a water line of your choice, all the other lines should be connected already except the feed and the drain line. The feed will connect to the self tapping valve and the drain line will have to be put in a sink or you could use the drain on your washer just feed the line down the pipe, there's no pressure behind that line

Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are really simple to setup. There's 3 lines- red, blue, and black. The red goes to your faucet or spigot, the black goes down the drain, and the blue is your filtered water. I got one of these units when I first started out, send them a message and tell them you need both adapters. Otherwise, they will just pick one and send it too you.

As far as water pressure, are you on city water or a well? If you are on city, you will most likely have enough pressure, if you are on a well, you may need a booster pump, it all depends. If you have less pressure in your bathroom than your kitchen, then unscrew the little screen on your bathroom faucet output, it may just need to be cleaned.

As far as running off of a hose, personally I've never tried. Hoses can have some weird chemicals in them, but you could thread the hose adapter to an outside spigot.

Once it's hooked up, don't plan on a RODI filter making water faster than you can collect it, these things are slow and it takes time.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks, so any word on if i should buy that ebay one or one for a bit more from that site i listed?
i would prefer to try the ebay and see how that works out, incase i buy an expensive one and cant even set it up at my house

ill try to use my garage, my bathroom sink is the weakest flow and my kitchen one i cant touch

but basically you are saying i dont need to unscrew any piping or any of that, just buy an adapter for my sink/hose?

thanks! one step closing to clicking purchase
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was kind of clue-less when I bought my machine too. It didnt have the faucet adapter so I had to search home depot and local hardware stores for something that would work. Definitely try and get the adapter for the faucet because I did not want to be outside in the cold making water - plus it'll be longer to heat to the right temperature.

I bought mine off e-bay but it was used from someone else it wasnt an e-bay brand one but not sure on the filters that mine came with IDK when to change them. My machine makes the water pretty fast compared to my friends that he has at his house maybe it's broken. Just make sure you buy a new one - not used. IME
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ha! Im not alone lol!! "I was clue-less" too and did not buy the faucet adapter lol!!! In my case i ended up buying it online cause Home Depot and local plumbing stores dont have it

Happy Christmas
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can afford a better one then do so. why buy a soso one for now and then have to buy another one at a later date. Now to install that valve there's just a saddle with two screws and a rubber gasket it fits right over the pipe of your choosing then tighten it up and when you screw down the tap it taps a small hole in the pipe you connect your lines then lift up tap and you've got water.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

when you say it taps a small hole in the pipe, will i have to worry if i take the screw off? wont water flow freely into it, sorry im not sure what you are saying without pictures since i never really worked with the house and plumbing my dad does all that -_-

im not saying im trying to cheap out, its just what really is the difference between the 66 dollar one and 150, which is what i came here to ask

according to google there is little to no difference other then the meters and guages built in
Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your feed line will be connected to it so when you bring it up it will feed into your ro unit. If your talking about the screws that connect in to the pipe they must stay in place or the water will come out of the hole. Its pictured in the link you posted option C
Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can just buy dual shut off valve and install it by your washer. I like that route because it can become a pain in the rear to plug/unplug the unit in. This way once your done you just shut off the water to the to unit and leave the one for the washer on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-408815817.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	139453

Tags
ro/di, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com