RO/DI unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to cut back on trips to the lfs- looking in to purchasing a RO/DI unit of my own- any brand suggestions?

Try ebay, I got mine for around $100 shipped (new) I would think they all do the same thing... but i could be wrong. This one works great 100gpd. check it out for yourself.

Attachments

• rodi_181.jpg
    rodi_181.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 27
ebay or airwaterice for a ro/DI unit...... I dont' care much for the units with the resin on top.. Too easy to get channeling through the resin..... JMO...

inspire0522 does your ro/do make water constantly or only on your demand? where do you have your tank sititng?

im planning on getting one on ebay its number 4450040305
so could you check it out and tell me what you think

thanks

hey marty_wolff, looks good same one that i have (- the tank). I mounted mine under my kitchen sink and only makes water when i need it. Comes with everything you need.. so no trips to the hardware store (=

Attachments

• r_202.jpg
    r_202.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 23
serious question on ro/di

I've established I HAVE to have a ro/di unit to be a successful reefer. I'd like to find one for about $100 shipped.

I'd like to install it under the kitchen sink and use a small faucet on the sink for drinlking water and maybe even run the icemaker line off of it. However, I've heard that ro/di water is deadly to humans. Specifically the di part. Is this the case?

Re: serious question on ro/di

Tex said:
I've established I HAVE to have a ro/di unit to be a successful reefer. I'd like to find one for about $100 shipped.

I'd like to install it under the kitchen sink and use a small faucet on the sink for drinlking water and maybe even run the icemaker line off of it. However, I've heard that ro/di water is deadly to humans. Specifically the di part. Is this the case?

no, that is not the case. where did you hear that from? the ro/di units take out all the "bad stuff" from your water, making it better to drink and better for your aquarium. most of the bottled water in grocery stores use ro, and i think distilled is ro/di filtered, it will say on the label. at least in stores by me. i used that for top off before i got my unit. check ebay for the best deals (in the links above) on the units.

You don’t HAVE to have an ro/di unit to be successful. Elements found in some tap water can lead to algae outbreaks and other headaches and by using an ro/di unit you remove all those elements/nutrients from the water to better mimic the ocean environment that our fish come from.

My tap is no3/po4 free but I still use ro/di because of other chemicals found in tap that the water treatment plant could miss ie: oil, pesticides, household chemicals, ect…

di isn’t deadly to humans but doesn’t “taste” very good because it’s lacking the minerals you “taste” in normal bottled or tap water. Most ro/di units have a bypass that lets you get the ro water before going onto the di part.

ro water usually does have a pleasant taste and makes coffee/tea really great tasting :D

I need to correct my story a bit. I went back and talked to the guy about ro/di being deadly. I didn't get it quite right.

His quote from an email he sent me this morning:

"RO is OK for drinking, RO/DI removes all of the electrolytes and minerals that you need, and generally only get from drinking water. The article I read said that drinking nothing but RO/DI for more than 2 weeks would lead to dehydration."

Tex said:
The article I read said that drinking nothing but RO/DI for more than 2 weeks would lead to dehydration."
That’s still misleading since water is still water with or without the minerals. Your body does need minerals to survive long term but also gets them from the food you eat. I can see maybe eating mineral free foods along with drinking ro/di water for years could lead to malnourishment but it’s unrealistic that you would do either and even more unrealistic that it would have an effect after only two weeks.

You can die from drinking too much water :roll:

Back
Top Bottom