RO/DI Units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was reading that you have to have a plumber to install an RO/DI unit is that true?
Or does it depend on the unit that you choose?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+4453&pcatid=4453

Installation Instructions
NOTE:
These units should be installed by a licensed plumber to adhere to all local codes. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure all fittings are tight and that codes are met. Warning: Household water pressure can cause leaks and damage surrounding building and fixtures if not properly installed. User must check ALL fittings for tightness. Kent Marine assumes no responsibility for water damage due to leaks.

I know lots of reefers who aren't plumbers (including myself) that have installed RO/DI units themselves. It's not that difficult and there is no cutting pipes or soldering involved.

Would those instructions be for ALL RO/DI units are just theirs?
Also correct me if I am wrong I saw somewhere's that it take up to 15 minutes to get 1 gallon of RO water is that correct?
I am assuming that you have to keep the water running during the entire process correct?
And what effect will it have on the WATER BILLS?

Also which one would be the best 75GPD or 100GPD and what is the GPD?

Those instructions are for most RODI units. Not all units come with the all the parts mentioned. so check to make sure the saddle tap is included, or how much extra it costs.

RODI units produce different amounts of water depending on the RO membrane. I have the 150GPD (gallons per day) membrane in my Typhoon III. I replaced the original membrane last year after 5 years of service.

Most RODI units will waste about 4x the amount of water produced. It all depends on how efficient the RO membrane is, the pressure of the tap water and the temperature.

RODI units produce best with water over 50 degrees and about 60 - 70 psi.

I have a booster pump to bring my 45psi tap up to 70psi for my RODI unit and it now produces water at the rated 150 gallons per day (6.25 gallon per hour).

You need to check on the RO membrane efficiency too. The 75 and 150 are in the 98% range and the 100 is about 92% (from memory).

So in order to get atleast 30 gallons I would have to let the water run for well over 5 hours? Is that correct? OMG what a water bill that would be ... I may have to go another route to get RO water.

What about the water that you can get out of the machines at the grocery stores can that be used ? Or the Distilled Water?

So in order to get atleast 30 gallons I would have to let the water run for well over 5 hours? Is that correct? OMG what a water bill that would be ... I may have to go another route to get RO water.
The water will be turned on and running that long, but it's not like you turn on a hose and let it run. The good water just barely trickles out...it's sort of like a fast dripping faucet.

There is no cheaper way to get RO/DI water than owning your own unit.

Well in my setup I went form wasting water on a 4:1 rate down to a 2:1 rate. I would expect you would get similar if you have a tap pressure of at least 50psi.

Store bough water needs to be tested with a tds to make sure their filters are changed and you are getting 0 tds water. Distilled water is fine. It's hard to imagine store bought water being cheaper than making your own. I guess that depends on the cost of your tap water.
What does it cost for 90 gallons from the water company?

Well in my setup I went form wasting water on a 4:1 rate down to a 2:1 rate. I would expect you would get similar if you have a tap pressure of at least 50psi.

Store bough water needs to be tested with a tds to make sure their filters are changed and you are getting 0 tds water. Distilled water is fine. It's hard to imagine store bought water being cheaper than making your own. I guess that depends on the cost of your tap water.
What does it cost for 90 gallons from the water company?

The water that I was speaking of is the ones that are in the machines at the Grocery Stores where you bring your on containers to fill them up. Some cost anywheres from $.25 to $35 cents a gallon just do not know how good that water would be for the SW tanks because it might have other stuff in it that is not wanted. I just don't know very much about those machines at the stores.

mwilliams, I am in the same position as you are. I don't want the huge increase in water bills, or to buy this expensive unit. But of course I want a successful reef, so I'll eventually get one when I get the funds. I am definitely going to get this:

Reverse Osmosis Aquarium Water Quality: Maxxima RO/DI Units

The one I use operates off a garden hose. I use it out in the tool shed.

You just hook it up when you're using it with the hose and that's it! You don't have to worry about connecting it to a sink or other pipes (I'm afraid I'll ruin something). If I get it before you, I'll let you know how simply it is.

Please do let me know how it works for you because I am trying to get the other small stuff for my up coming purchase of possible a 180G RR tank but I am having second thoughts on that size right now. Although the fish (Desjardin Sailfin) that I have right now has to have at least a 125g tank and I am still wanting to get a few more fishes and they to will require a large tank. The sailfin has already quaddroppled in size since I bought him. I did not know how fast they grow. My Yellow tang has not grown anymore in quite sometime now he seems to be the slow grower of the two.

If you are going to have a tank that size I would strongly recommend you getting your own RO/DI unit.

The link that uscamaro provided is a good option but you can get an equally good unit for less than half that price on ebay. Have a look at this RO/DI unit. That is what I have and have been using for nearly 5 years.

Shop around is my suggestion before buying one that says "Kent" on it.

I have mine hooked up under the sink in the kitchen. Give me a second and I'll take a couple pics for you. I can fill a 5g bucket in about 45 minutes. The water waste water that would go down the drain I collect and use for my FW tanks and to water my house plants.

Yes please do send the pictures this is the best price and rate for the water I have seen so far for an RO/DI unit.

Here are some pics of my RO/DI unit.

The first pic is the "T" I got to come off the cold water supply under the sink. It was about $3 at Lowes. The silver supply line coming from that is 1/4" and is 18" long.

002btq.jpg

The silver supply line connects to another shut off valve so I can control the RO/DI unit separate from the main waterline going to the sink. Screwed into the shutoff valve is a john guest fitting and then into a clear line that goes into another fitting and into the unit itself.

003yl.jpg

005vnu.jpg

Hope that helps with the RO/DI unit install. It's really very simple and there are a lot of different ways to do it. If you print these pictures off and take them to Lowes they should be able to match up the parts I used and you can do something similar.

As for your sump, I'm not a big fan of prebuilt sumps. If you want to look into a custom sump then you need to talk to Marc Levenson. He is in Dallas/Ft Worth so not too far from you. Have a look at his site he builds custom sumps and does an AWESOME job. If you talk to him tell him I sent you!

Got it thanks. I checked out his sight very nice but the cost of the custom built sump and shipping would be more then just buying it at the stores. Just will have to keep looking around maybe even try to do one myself if I can. Not much of a DIY persons. But can always give it a chance.

Back
Top Bottom