RO/DI Units?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a new 45 tank but live a long ways from a LFS. Thinking of taking the plunge (yes the pun was intended) into a RO/DI Unit. I haven't a clue how to evaluate. I of course don't want to spend anything but I don't want something useless either. LOL Any good advice?

Thanks guys. I have a pull down decorative faucet in my kitchen so will have to go with the garden hose. But that isn't a big deal. I already adapted the cheap filter I bought at Lowes to fit the garden hose.

Here are another couple question for you. How long do this unit take to make about 5 gallons of water? How much waste is produced? To make 5 gallons is it using something like 7 gallons? Not a big deal but just curious.

It takes me about an hour to get 5g of water. The waste is at least 3 to 1 though. I fill up an entire 32g garbage can in less than 6 hours. :)

You wont need an adaptor if when you order you tell them to include it, they give you one for free. :)

If you are using the garden hose you can run the waste water to your flower beds or lawn, thats what I do.

Good info. Thanks. Now I just have to figure out where I can store water. Garage would be easiest but with 110 degree heat in the summer and below freezing in the winter that isn't a good option. LOL Guess I will have to take over the coat closet off the kitchen. My wife is going to love me. Oh well, I can always fall back on "It is your birthday present dear". Hehehehehe

I keep mine covered on my outside covered porch. I do get alot of evaporation but the lid keeps most of it in.

With a 45g tank you should only need about 10g a week taking into consideration top off water as well as water change water. :)

I have 5g jugs that i keep in the hall closet as backup for my garbage can of water, it's my just in case water. lol I'd look into those jugs. I got mine from an lfs that sold water for like $6 a piece.

Home Depot has 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids for like a buck or something. I was planning on picking up some to help with water change and dirip acclimation. I may just get a couple extra and do my water in that. One for old water coming out, three or four for new water storage and one for acclimation. I was beating my head against a wall trying to figure out the best way to do the drip acclimation until I saw an LFS doing it. He angled a 5 gallon bucket so the water collected on one side then used an air line and two way air valve as his siphon. Needless to say, I bought air line and valve before I left the store. LOL Cost me all of $4.00.

Home depot also has in the paint department buckets which have the gallons printed on the side for easy mixing. I have 4 of those for out water and four for ingoing water. For acclimation they have smaller painters buckets, maybe a gallon or a few quarts that I use. The lfs never gives you enough water so it will be really shallow if you go with the 5g buckets. :)

just another tip I picked up. lol

I was thinking of the paint bucket but my concern was that it might fill up too quick while drip acclimating. From what I have heard you need to drip for a least a couple hours right? (was getting ready to start reading up on that since I am finally about to start adding some fish). :) My other concerns were "Jumpers" but I figured I could cut a hole in the lid to run the drip line through and that would stop jumpers.

I just dump the water if it get too full. I acclimate fish for about and hour and a half and shrimp for at least two hours. :)

Back
Top Bottom