RO/DI wastewater for freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would the wastewater generated by an RO/DI system be ok to use in a freshwater tank?

Depends on the type of fish..... remember all of the buffers from the RODI are added to this water. Cichlids that like really hard water might not mind it.....

I wouldn't use it because all the bad stuff is going to be in an even more concentrated form since it was rejected by your ro/di.
I put a T right before the DI and use that for my FW and drinking water. If you're worried about wasting water you can upgrade your filters so you get a 1:1 ratio.

Upgrade the filters to what? I know I can turn my 75gpd BRS unit into a 150gpd unit, cutting waste in half (down to about 1:2 or 1:3 -ish depending on water pressure)..is that what you're talking about?

They sell upgrade kits, a second RO membrane and Di cartridge will produce twice the water, RO, for the same amount of waste.

Don't use waste water from your R/O system for your fish. It will be incredibly hard. Not a good idea.

Perfect for rift lake cichlids, it's all the other elements that would cause concern. Water the garden with it, if it goes down the drain it gets retreated so you can use it again next week! Some places use water meters though, could be a concern if it's not a fixed bill.

Perfect for rift lake cichlids, it's all the other elements that would cause concern. Water the garden with it, if it goes down the drain it gets retreated so you can use it again next week! Some places use water meters though, could be a concern if it's not a fixed bill.

I'm metered for water. There isn't a huge impact on my bill but I feel bad letting it go down the drain.

I'm metered for water. There isn't a huge impact on my bill but I feel bad letting it go down the drain.

That's a good attitude, the best thing then, you can buy a new RO membrane and canister with di, or without depending on your system. Put a T in after the CCB, then split the feed into two membranes. This is what I will be doing when money allows. It will pretty much double the output. The website I learned this from is Osmotics.co.uk I think they have a .com branch, depends where you live. Hope it helps you get the answer.

Edit- I think they do kits, tailored for it.

Back
Top Bottom