ro filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NEWTOSALT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i asked a while ago which ro filter should i buy for a 90 gallon fo tank i dont understand what all the differences are? thanks

Actually, they are pretty similar from band to brand. It just depends on the number of stages you want and if you want a DI incoorperated (which I recommend). I have a Kent marine Maxima and am happy with it. Other have had good luck on ebay or check with Darin at www.captivereefs.com for some options. They all do same thing, it just depends on the output you want and the number of stages.

the major factor is the memberane, Alot of cheap systems use low buck membranes. Brands like the aquaFX use dow SELECT membranes that are the best in the industry. You do get what you pay for in an RO unit.

How important are RO systems? Would getting water out of a water purifying filter be close to RO water? I don't want to spend an extra $200 if I don't need to.

You know... even though I'm saving for the Aqua FX unit... i'm just curious... what's the difference if both units will give you a 0 ppm a year later? I consider myself a label freak and usually go with "name brand" tested merchandise... but I see other units that have Dow chemical membranes as well... leaves everything still a bit confusing. Hah. I'm not helping at all to this post :oops:

You also need to look at the daily output rating and the expected life of the filters and membranes.

or at least should be replaced every 12 months
this part is very subjective. It all depends on use and the quality of the tap water. My tap water is so bad that I replace all of my filters about every 6 months.

the best advice I can give is go with the one that has the most positive feedback. I think Darin sells a lot of the Barracudas by Aqua FX on his web site (www.captivereefs.com). He carries good products and offers great support.

i have purchased an aquasafe system 6 stage (ro/di) for 79.99 usd and am very happy with it. it also has a dow membrane. my tap water is not too bad, tds about 225 ppm, but 0 after ro/di.

There is actually 2 differnet types of DOW membranes. One is the select and the other is the standard. The select goes through a more rigorus quality phase.

Back
Top Bottom