Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I got a ro/di unit for $59 on ebay. can't beat the price and it works great. 0ppm TDS

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by gpakillsme View Post
...how necessary is to obtain a RO+DI filter, rather than a RO filter alone. The research I did showed there will probably 10ppm difference. but cost more at initial and ongoing.
The RO will get out about 95% of your impurities. So if you have 150 ppm TDS source water, you'll end up with about 7.5ppm TDS output. With the DI stage added, you'll have 0.0ppm TDS output.

So it all gets down to how pure you want your water. Without DI, you're still letting through the nasties... even though they're at much reduced rates.

Yes... it's an additional expense because you have to replace the DI resin when it gets depleted. But it's the only way you're going to get truly pure 0.0ppm TDS water out of the RO system.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
I have an ro unit it gives me 1 ppm on my tds meter thats good enough for me

hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com