RO Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

statisticsnerd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm considering buying a RO DI filter for my fish and I've been shopping around, but I'm not sure if I want one with a storage tank or not. Is it necessary to purchase a tank along with the filter, and what is the advantage of having one? My water has never gone out and I doubt it will unless a hurricane comes or something, so I don't understand the reason for storing up gallons of water.

It would depend on how often and how many gallons of RO water you need to use. To give you a meaningful answer, I need to know why you're considering RO. :wink:

Well, mainly for drinking water purposes, but I thought it would be nice for my fish too. The most I would use is maybe two or three gallons per day, but obviously more when I do water changes. The cheapest systems I've found on Ebay are ~$60 and that's really the most I'm willing to spend on one. It's just water after all. :? Thanks for the reply.

Then the system would be attached to your tap if it's for drinking water. I wouldn't see the need for storage unless you required gallons of it. What kind of fish are you keeping? Unless your water is liquid rock, the RO might be overkill.

well its always nice, i mean no more clorine remover right? lol and that water has to taste good cold!!!

no chlorine remover...but using pure RO for fish means you have to add hardness back to the water. pure RO is not good for fish at all.
SW can use it because the salt mix adds the necessary stuff back to the water.

There is a product called RO Rite.. but pure RO/DI water is just overkill for FW, it can be mixed with tapwater to get the hardness nessisary back..
btw. I have a LFS that uses pure RO water in his tanks.. Im not quite sure how to convince the owner that this is not a good thing.. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom