Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
Try this
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...quasafesystems

This guy I bought the system and 20 replacement filters, free shipping on the replacement filters, good deal

Old 06-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
steve-s

I bought mine from Aquasafe, great filter. I would suggest this one if you do get one. Comes with the storage tank and the see through DI cartrige.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4387555692

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought my RO/DI unit from a person on Ebay. 125 GPD with a little 3 gallon storage tank for about 130 bucks. Its supposed to be hooked up to a sink and what not, but i just went to HD and purchased a garden-hose to 1/2 inch fitting and rigged up my own little connection. works fantastic. I think its cheaper to replace the whole unit versus all the filters.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to amahler
Which I might still do since I don't yet have a DI unit and these systems are complete.

Bummer is that I just bought all new filters for about what this cost and now I've got a membrane that I still can't be sure I can use. Kent Marine just told me "push harder", so I'm off to try that. We shall see... (sigh)

Thanks!
- Aaron

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, Kent was right.

Before they even told me to do it, I had inserted the new membrane and pressed it hard against a wall, the floor, etc., until I was literally red in the face. All I could imagine was breaking something (either the RO or me) and decided there is no WAY this will work.

Kent Marine tech guy said "push it HARD". Tried again with no luck. So as a last resort, I put it in and then SMACKED the white nipple of the membrane against a doorframe and - "clunk" - right in place.

Seems to work perfectly now.

I'm letting it run a few hours to clear the stuff the packaging said needed to be flushed. Speaking of which, I also need to install my flush kit.

Anyway - this has me considering all sorts of possibilities. If my next replacement of membranes is going to be pricey, I might buy one of the new systems listed above since it's comparable in cost... or I could just stick with this one and add a DI since I know I can get cheaper membranes to fit if I smack them good and hard to seat them.

Ponder... ponder... always a million choices.

Assuming this one is working and my membrane choices aren't as limited as I thought... do you still suggest a whole new system like those on eBay above or just add a DI?

Thanks!
- Aaron

Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
well... if it breaks in llike 2 years or so you'll have a new DI system. id go with the new one. but personally i dont have the money for an ro
Old 06-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your comment there does bring up a question for me: what is there to go wrong on these? You replace the key pieces of them from time to time (filters and membranes) inherently... the rest just seems to be pretty innocuous tubing and framework.

Do they become less functional over time?

Of course the other way of looking at this (and I have thought this before) is that it's a bunch of plastic tubes and gaskets... why does Kent charge $300 for it to begin with? I think we know the answer.

- Aaron

Old 06-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
More like the housing of the RO system will last forever (never say forever!), some time it may just worth the money to replace the whole system because of leaking, or hard to find replacement part now a day.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

True.

Well, like I said, I'm going to weigh all the options. For instance, if getting just a DI that will work is at all comparable to a new full RO with a higher GPD rating AND integrated DI...

I suspect new systems are frequently cheaper based on the razor blade theory of selling me membranes forever.

You've all given me plenty to think about.

Thanks!
- aaron

Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tomorrow I'm going to get the water checked pretty thoroughly at the college where I work. We have an Environmental Studies department that has a whole water test lab and, from what I gather, some pretty extensive testing capabilities. The professor who runs that lab is going to meet me there tomorrow at 10 AM so we can figure out as much about my water as possible.

Time permitting, I was hoping to test and compare these sources:

- Straight well water in the room that is feeding the RO

- Water I processed with the old membrane that is standing in a clean trashcan I use for holding water I intend to mix with salt (both for the quality of the old membrane AND for the trashcan to make sure it's safe)

- Water coming out of the new membrane (it's running for a few hours now down the drain to flush the new membrane of packaging solutions, so it will be ready tomorrow to sample straight from the blue hose)

- Water coming out of our kitchen tap (more for our own knowledge than anything since I don't plan to use this tap whatever the case)

What I can say from my own cheap-o tests (Sera and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits I own) is that the RO does a decent job on what I can test.

The water from the tap in that room has an almost undectable level of copper while the water from the RO is clear as a bell on the copper test. Our kitchen sink, however, is friggin' brown on the copper test color (but the Pur pitcher we use makes it virtually clear on par with the RO). Obviously, there are copper pipes feeding it. I think the bathroom is older galvanized stuff.

The water from the tap in that room has nitrates in the freshwater 10 ppm range or so. The RO water appears to check out as measurably zero.

The water from the RO measures VERY low (between zero and the first test chart color) on phosphates. I forgot if it was any worse on the tap, but I suspect so to some extent.

What I won't know tonight (but hopefully tomorrow) is TDS, lead or other minerals, whatever else I don't know to look for and probably more accurate versions of much of the same.

I have a handheld digital TDS meter on the way for future use.

Can anyone suggest tests that might be possible tomorrow that I should ask about or focus on? What is especially important for the performance of my RO so I can be comfortable with this being my new water source (sick of buying water in jugs)?

Thanks!
- Aaron

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com