Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

RO system.. which one to choose?

i am trying to get an RO system but there are too many choices out there. i found this one on ebay. is it good to buy? do i really need the small tank? what is the purpose of having that tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=20684&rd=1[url]

Old 07-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's a good filter, a lot of us run them. I got mine for about $100 without the holding tank and extra faucet. The tank is just a resovoir so that you always have a 4 gallons of water on hand. The nice little faucet that comes with this kit is what the water would actually come out of if it were plumbed into your sink. Mine runs straight into my sump, so the holding tank and faucet weren't needed.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

looks like a good unit. I would get one without the holding tank. This way you can run the output hose right into a large rubbermaid tub and keep los of filtered water on hand.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long can you keep RO/DI water sitting before you really HAVE to use it ... Say room temperature in a dark place?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

several weeks.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

is PSI METER and the TDS METER important for the RO? so that i can check the operation of the RO.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

TDS meter IMO is needed, it will allow you to check the the water to see when the filters and DI need changing. I check the water out of the tap, then after the membrane and then after the DI. As the TDS raises I like to change out the micron and carbon. When you see TDS after the Di you should think about changing it. Remember TDS meter will not pick up phosphates or silicates so if you have them in your tap you will need to check for them once in a while in your ro/di water.
PSI is a nice to have.. is it needed no. If you have low water pressure it will effect the output of the unit so if you know your pressure is low then I would say you don;t need a PSI gauge to tell you that.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com