ro systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
:confused: I will be redoing my 50 gal saltwater tank from fowlr to a small reef over the course of several months. Starting out really small. I know I'll need a lot more lighting and I'll talk to my lfs about it. This is the equipment I now have on my aquarium. 1 Fluval canister filter, 1 UV Sterilizer, 2 water movers, 1 heater. I also have a hang on skimmer that hummed and drove me crazy so I removed it. It really didn't do a great job.

:confused: I'm looking at getting an RO System installed now that I have a utility room. I'm looking at the Pro Series 5 Stage filter. It comes with a 5 year warranty which I like.

:confused: My questions are many but I'll save some of them for later. First, if I get an RO system will I need the UV sterilizer too? And, here comes the silliest question, how do you add corals to rock. Do you just put them on the rock and they stay? Or, do you glue them? Ouch!

I eagerlly await all your answers...:thanks:

mellowyellow said:
:confused: I will be redoing my 50 gal saltwater tank from fowlr to a small reef over the course of several months. Starting out really small. I know I'll need a lot more lighting and I'll talk to my lfs about it. This is the equipment I now have on my aquarium. 1 Fluval canister filter, 1 UV Sterilizer, 2 water movers, 1 heater. I also have a hang on skimmer that hummed and drove me crazy so I removed it. It really didn't do a great job.

:confused: I'm looking at getting an RO System installed now that I have a utility room. I'm looking at the Pro Series 5 Stage filter. It comes with a 5 year warranty which I like.

:confused: My questions are many but I'll save some of them for later. First, if I get an RO system will I need the UV sterilizer too? And, here comes the silliest question, how do you add corals to rock. Do you just put them on the rock and they stay? Or, do you glue them? Ouch!

I eagerlly await all your answers...:thanks:

Mellowyellow,...if you are going to a reef tank as stated then it's all about water quality,..lose the canister filter and either make or purchase a sump and a good quality protein skimmer,...these two items will help out tremendously in the long run,...also the uv sterilizer is another item to lose,..it would probably do more harm than good by killing off your useful bacteria which is needed to eat up your nutrients that your tank produces.
Also,..a reef tank will require a lot more water movement than your fowlr ,..so get some nice koralia powerheads,.20-30 -40-50 times your water volume is the norm...re the Corals,...the small " frags" are usually glued onto a small plug which can be either glued to an existing rock or merely pushed into an existing crack , hole or crevice,... Some of the larger corals may come already growing on a rock which can be just placed upon another rock or the sand bed depending on the particular coral and it's needs.
Go slow and take your time,..but enjoy the ride too,..it's an awesome adventure,...hope this helps,..don't be afraid to ask questions,...so many great people here with just as many great answers !!!, Dary

Dary421 said:
Mellowyellow,...if you are going to a reef tank as stated then it's all about water quality,..lose the canister filter and either make or purchase a sump and a good quality protein skimmer,...these two items will help out tremendously in the long run,...also the uv sterilizer is another item to lose,..it would probably do more harm than good by killing off your useful bacteria which is needed to eat up your nutrients that your tank produces.
Also,..a reef tank will require a lot more water movement than your fowlr ,..so get some nice koralia powerheads,.20-30 -40-50 times your water volume is the norm...re the Corals,...the small " frags" are usually glued onto a small plug which can be either glued to an existing rock or merely pushed into an existing crack , hole or crevice,... Some of the larger corals may come already growing on a rock which can be just placed upon another rock or the sand bed depending on the particular coral and it's needs.
Go slow and take your time,..but enjoy the ride too,..it's an awesome adventure,...hope this helps,..don't be afraid to ask questions,...so many great people here with just as many great answers !!!, Dary
P.s. a RODI water system is a must,..ck out " bulk reef supply " they have some nice ones and relatively cheap

Back
Top Bottom