ro unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobberwobber

Aquarium Advice Regular
having an issue with brown algae in the SW tank. it went but now come back with attitude and taken over the tank. all levels seem to be within range but nitrates a little high. i think its the tap water. our local fish store doesnt sell RO water, so i think an RO unit is probably needed. however, we invested too much into this tank too quick and cant justify yet another $150+ on a dedicated system. not right now.
my question is though, and it is more, curious than anything, but when i lived in TN, my EX mother inlaw, invested in this whole house water system. basically was a large canister filter in the basement the main water line went to. had various medium in it and a salt bin. i dont remember the make now, but i do know, it was an amazing bit of kit. (fun to overflow the washing machine with soap suds... apparently, so i heard...) anyway. i believe it was just basically a reverse osmosis system. i was wondering if anyone has something like this and knows what water quality it gives out. if this would work. could justify that as would be the entire house then. always wanted another one, if it would work for the tank too, maybe worth investing in. i know it was a huge bit of kit, not just a screw on filter. stood about 4 foot tall. any one know what im talkin about or have knowledge on this?

That sounds like a water softening system, not a filtration system and definitely not an RO.

hmmm you might be right now i think about it. may just been a softener.

didnt have large cylinders etc. was a large box, almost like an air conditioner heat pump and then another next to it, which had salt in it... but yeah think it was a softener more i think about it. ah well.... i know at 3am it would back flush and make a noise about it.

Back
Top Bottom