RO unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudgy35

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of getting an RO unit but not sure if it's going to be just as cheap to keep buying water from my lfs, I live in the uk and am on a water meter, I keep reading that there is a lot of waste from RO units so I can't see how this is likely to work out cheaper, if any one in the uk are using an ro unit are you finding it cheaper? Thanks

Whether it is cheaper or not will depend on a number of factors. Firstly, the cost of the unit. This can be hugely variable. the cost of replacement membranes is another factor and should be considered prior to purchase of any particular unit. If you are also going to use the RO water for drinking, that is also to be considered. If you can use the waste water (as much as 6 out of 10 gallons), perhaps for laundry or plant watering, the waste is less of an issue. Lastly, the cost of buying RO water needs to be factored in.

I understand theese factors, the cost of RO water from my lfs is £4 for 25 litres which is just over $6 for 11 gallons, as for re-using my washing machine is mains water fed and I don't have a garden, I guess it's all down to how much it will cost to make 25 litres, thanks for the advice espiecaly on how much waste to usable water I'll do some sums and work out wether it's worth it or not

spoonman said:
I think the rule of thumb for most units is 1 gallon usable to 3 gallons waste.

Wow that's a lot of waste... Luckily where I work we have a huge RO plant so if I take up marine hopefully I can get water free. I believe RO units are £100... Be careful about the waste water mind with this new hosepipe ban n all

Don't forget the fish store has to factor in the cost of his water also and he's still making money on you so given that I would say it would be alot cheaper for you to get your own unit. As for membrane and other filter your lfs also has to factor that cost in also because he has to change the same filters you do.

Found the sticky it's great if you were looking for what I was I'll be getting an RO unit very soon

Back
Top Bottom