Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Good suggestion, hmmmmmm, I wonder what would be a good solution.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well if you don't have a sink near by then you are limited to what you can do. How close to a door or a window is the tank? Would it work for you to put a 32gallon trash can in for the waste water and then pump the water out of that tank to the outside?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I'll have to get in the basement tonight and see if there is a place to rid the water. Otherwise, I will have to put a 32 gallon trash can on a wooden furniture dolly and wheel it to the door to dump it out.!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That would be a good solution....thought I think I would take a pump and drop it in there and pump the water out instead of trying to dump it. 32g is pretty heavy.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True, or I could even just simply siphon the water from the 32 gallon outside if I wheeled it to the door or window.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess my original point was that if you depend on a human (yourself!) to do the dumping, then eventually you will forget. And you know how it goes... the day you forget will be the same time the water level is at the tippy top!

In my opinion, having a bigger "bucket" really doesn't rid yourself of the problem. In fact, you might even increase the odds of it happening because you're not dumping it on a consistent basis. Remember... these units dribble water out pretty slow. You're going to have this thing turned on for a while. That's why many people set them up with float switches that automatically turn them on or off. (Of course, those can get buggered up too!)
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, I agree with you idea! It is just whether or not I can get close enough to a door or window to get rid of the water without the bucket. Otherwise I may have to get a laundry sink plumbed downstairs one day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes you can forget to turn it off...there is no fool proof way, even if you have a drain for the waste line you are still putting the RO/DI into something so whether you have a drain for the waste or not and you forget to turn it off you will have a problem. In this situation I think a larger container for the waste water is a far better idea then a 5gallon bucket.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey... here's an idea I just thought of while I was walking through my garage.

If you have a newer natural gas furnace, then your probably have a condensate pump plumbed to it. Water trickles out of your furnace, into a little box that serves as a tank, which has a pump and float switch built in. You can get them with different size reservoirs, and different sized pumps that will deal with varying head heights. You should be able to find them at most hardware stores, and you can get them online. Just Google "condensate pump".

If you could find one with a decent capacity, and with a pump strong enough for whatever height you need to get your water out of the house, then that might be an option. My condensate pump routes my water through a vinyl tube that goes through a hole drilled in my wall, and only pumps about a 2-3 foot head.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

agreed, I think I am going to try the 32 gallon trash can assuming that I don't have access to a door or window, put it on a furniture dolly, wheel it to the door and siphon it outside.

Thanks.

Please check out my other post on plumbing my 180 and give any comments you can.

Tags
ro unit, stall, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com