RO unit producing 40 ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
My brand new aquaticlife 3 stage RO unit is producing 40 ppm water. Any suggestions on why this might be?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is that a ro/di unit or just ro? And do you mean tds? If just ro that's normal

Check you tds coming out of the tap. When I just run the ro on my aquaticlife it comes out 30. It all depends on how much your tds is to begin with. Mines 500-600

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's 400

Do you have the 100 gallon per day or 50 gallons per day?

I've heard the 100 gpd filters are less efficient. I don't know which ro membrane they use but most of the commercial filters I've looked up are 98% efficency for all but the 100 gpd which is 90% which sounds right for what your showing.

I guess I will have to make do with 40ppm. And eventually get the DI unit as well

I just checked mine and I've got 582 out of tap, 34 out of ro and 0 out of di. I would strongly recommend the di if your doing saltwater I tried just ro and got cyano bad.

90% rejection rate is a bit low, if the filter is new I would expect better.

Are you letting it run a bit, and are you flushing the membrane?

I have about 370 ppm input water, a common Dow filter, and am getting about 20 ppm out of the RO side, but for the first pint or so it is more like 35ppm (decreasing), even if I have flushed.

What I do is:

- Open the RO tap (blocking DI)
- Flush the filter about 3 minutes (i.e. no flow restriction)
- Add flow restriction so it is making RO water, let that run for another 5 minutes
- At this point I'm getting about 20 ppm
- Switch it to go through the Di filter
- Let that flush for another 5 minutes or so (even though it is always 0 ppm so far)

Collect water.

When done, close off the DI, flush the membrane again for 3-5 minutes, and put it all away.

When the membrane is not under pressure there can be flow of dissolved solids across the membrane which means initial water out is higher.

On the other hand, if you are steadily getting 40ppm, it may just be the type of minerals -- any given membrane has widely varying rejection rates for different contaminants. I wouldn't worry unless this rises.

Back
Top Bottom