Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
RO Unit question

Question: I have a Kent Marine RO/DI 3 stage filter and am wondering why people dont use the RODI units from like Lowes, Home Depot, ect. If you read up on them, appears they pull out more 'bad stuff' than some of the "fish" appointed untis do. My main deal with the Kent marines and such are the filters are so expensive. Any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also can you use other filters from other RO units as replacements instead of the ones you order on line?

Old 12-31-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I was at Lowes yesterday Looking at them. They Are pretty much the same thing I was actually going to make a post asking if they would work. TIA
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah the main difference I see in them is not the price of the actual unit...its the difference in price of the filters. AND most of the filters they have LOOK like they would fit in my Kent RO unit. I just think when you order items from a LFS or on line and its a pet or fish store, the markup is huge for most items..now there are some things I know have to be different such as the VHO lights and such...you have to have ones that are meant for tanks
Old 12-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can use the filters that HD and Lowes sells. You want to make sure your getting the right micron size that your running now or read up and change up on the micron size to get the max out of your membrane. No need to buy Kent products there is a HUGH mark up on them. Membranes only 2-3 companies make them and they are all about the same. I run HD micron filters and I still buy the carbon form AWI. I probably will be going to all HD filters soon if they carry the right micron size on the carbon. You can also up your membrane GPd also if you want, you just need to get the right restrictor and your good to go. Lets say you have a kent 35gpd and you want to run a 75 gpd.. You need to get the new membrane and then take out the inline restrictor that came with the kent unit and then add the after market restrictor. Its an easy upgrade. Not sure what the HD prices are now but ebay has some real good prices that HD could never match.. And does the HD unit have DI or are they just RO? I have never seen a DI unit at HD. RO/DI is the best.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seachem
I misled you on the RODI part - the unit at HD. What I meant to say was they have RO units and really you could take their unit and add a DI to it. Still would be cheaper than what you would spend on Kents stuff.
Ok so I have a Kent 65 GPD. I dont really care about upgrading at this point as I all I have is a 140 gallon tank. Can you post me where you buy your filters from off of Ebay? Is it the same person each time? Or what do you search by as you seem to have done this a lot in the past. Thanks for all the info. I did find one company off of the internet for filters but still pretty spendy. The main one filter I go through is the DI one..guess this is normal.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have get most of my stuff from airwaterice.com and resindepot.com has some great resin. I buy the micron filters at HD.
Ebay sells all the filters and ro/di units cheaper then HD does, I have not bought any filters from ebay so maybe someone else can help out there.
I will be looking at them soon for filters depending on what the prices are at AWI now.
Kent and spectra pure IMO are very over priced, your paying for the name.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I was about to order new filters last week when I saw the filters at Lowes. I got a 2 pack of the Whirlpool sediment and a pack of the carbon. I picked those because the micron size (5) was clearly noted on the box. They work
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have decided to go with a 50 gpd home unit from the local water supply company. They will install including am extra 40g tank with float shut off just for my SW set up. It is RO only as opposed to RODI. The reason being is that you do not want to drink DI and my system will be plumbed to the kitchen sink as well as the ice maker which will make the 1-2 gallon a day top off convientent.

Going this route will be a bit more pricy up front, but should pay dividends in the long run. The company I am getting it from has been local since 1952 and the replacement filters are only $4 for one and $15 for the other. The best part is the Membrane that I thought would have to replace yearly should only need replacing every 5-7 years. He said he has even had them last up to 12 years. It will come with a TDS meter as well.

Total cost is about $300 plus installation, but I can lease the first year for $16.50/month and apply that toward purchase at the end of the year. I am currently spending $20-25/month in fish water alone and we will now have drinking water as well not to mention the convience of not traveling.
I asked why the other ones do not last that long and his comment was that many of the online versions that you can get for $100-150 have membranes made in Mexico and the quality is just not that good.

As for not having DI I am not that concerned considering how much the RO takes out. It will be like 99% pure and I will just need to check my salt mixing each time.

They will even plumb everything so I can take it with me if we move some day. The guy spent about 30 minutes with me answering my questions and asking good questions so he can customize the setup to my needs. They have done several homes with aquariums with good results.

Installation is set for Wed, so I will let you know how it goes.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have phosphates, silacates and nitrates you will need to add on a DI for the tank. I hope it works out for you.

Tags
ro unit, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com