Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be very interested to know the increase in your water bill. Keep track and let us know. I am sure it will be small, water is cheap. In the summer I use my waste water for the flowers outside.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive been using it in my wash for years and it is a great use for it. When I make 6 gallons of water if makes enough water to start a large load of wash. So the wife loves me more... Im doing laundry when I make water.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey crabs! I live in a, probably, smaller town than you, and we also have to pay for water. Household are usually allowed so many cubic gallons/litres before they start to charge you. And it is not "that" much per cubic liters either. As someone else said, keep track of your water usage. Take a reading of your meter before and after producing your require amount of RO/DI water. You know the routine.

Good luck tho...

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry i dont think im gonna get the chance to figure out the difference she's really against it ,ive been using tap water for 2 years with no problems relaited to it other than a small amout of algae wich is not even a small problem so she dosent see any advantage to better water vs. the wasted water
the idea that i might have a set allowance of water before charges would help my argument though.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Umm, check the municipal water dept. to see what is your monthly allowed quantity (usually for a flat rate) and is the cost of additional cubic meters. Worth digging deeper into this.

I know what you mean about the wife being against it. I had to provide the logical reasons and explanations as to why I should buy a RO/DI unit for the fish tank. After tallying up the current/accumulated investment, it is well worth the purchase/usage. Also books that explain the benefits of pristine water quality. etc... etc...

Good luck buddy and hope the storm will pass...

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is one of the privileges of not being attached to anyone. I can spend my money the way I please.

I can set the thermostat, I don't have to buy a new car every year, I can keep 6 chinchillas, I can buy a new computer but not a new TV, I can refinance the house, I can talk to my mother as long as I want, I don't have to listen to someone else's music, I hardly ever make spagatti ... the benefits are endless! People feel sorry for me because I'm living alone. Far from it. I feel sorry for you poor souls out there who have to constantly ask someone's permission for how you spend money. You had more freedom when you were a 10-year-old with an allowance! Hee hee hee.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :P I grow weary of how society goes on and on about couples and being married and such. When I can put in a plug for the unattached, I do. 8)
Old 12-07-2005, 01:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, so can someone explain to me what waste water is? I have my ro/di unit connected to my kitchen sink and drain. The line that was marked to connect to the drain I just connected it to the drain. Why would there be waste water, the instructions did not explain that. I assumed the water stayed in the holding tank until I use it and then the unit makes more. What am I missing?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

The waste water is produced by the RO part of the system. My understanding is that upto 75% of the water that passes through the unit will be rejected by the RO membrane. The water that is rejected is diverted to the drain.

HTH,

-Eric
Old 12-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
I run the drain line into my washer.
same

wife got happier, since I now do laundry MORE then what I did before...
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

75%!!! Why don't they tell you that! I had no idea. No I wish I had installed it in the laundry room!

Tags
waste

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com