ro waste water vs. my wife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i have crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i just got a ro unit finally after 2 years of keeping saltwater and the first thing my wife said when she seen the waste water going down the drain was i dont bloody think so pal, since i live in a smaller town we have a seperate water bill and she thinks its gonna cost a fortune and waste water and get it out of her house and you aint ever getting another one,so my friend is getting a smoking deal on a unit thats only made 15g of water so far and im back on the phosphate remover and prime diet :cry:

i dont really see any use i might have for it other than water for the cats and mabey the plants,but i have 5 tanks and change alot of water compared to how much water the cats drink.

humm.. mabey i just need more cats :twisted:

So get a DI unit with resin that you can regenerate....it processes all water without "waste".

Not the best application for it, but you need pure water for your reef tank long term or spend extra money for improved export.

*hopping over from the freshies*

It costs less than purchasing RO water from the LFS, maybe you can show her the math? Oh and the cost of items/corals/fish lost from not having RO water.

Everyone knows women are not good with math. Explain it to her in shopping trips. :D
Disclaimer: This is purely a "joke" statement. It is not intended to harm anyone. I can make these statements because Melissa can not get up the steps to the PC room to read the forums at this time. Please do not respond to this as it will continue to stay of the first page of the forum and she will eventually read it. This would most likely result in my demise. :wink:

Brenden said:
Everyone knows women are not good with math. Explain it to her in shopping trips. :D
Disclaimer: This is purely a "joke" statement. It is not intended to harm anyone. I can make these statements because Melissa can not get up the steps to the PC room to read the forums at this time. Please do not respond to this as it will continue to stay of the first page of the forum and she will eventually read it. This would most likely result in my demise. :wink:

Sorry... I couldn't help it... that was FUNNY!!!!

I would be very interested to know the increase in your water bill. Keep track and let us know. I am sure it will be small, water is cheap. In the summer I use my waste water for the flowers outside.

Ive been using it in my wash for years and it is a great use for it. When I make 6 gallons of water if makes enough water to start a large load of wash. So the wife loves me more... Im doing laundry when I make water.

Hey crabs! I live in a, probably, smaller town than you, and we also have to pay for water. Household are usually allowed so many cubic gallons/litres before they start to charge you. And it is not "that" much per cubic liters either. As someone else said, keep track of your water usage. Take a reading of your meter before and after producing your require amount of RO/DI water. You know the routine. :wink:

Good luck tho... :wink:

8)

sorry i dont think im gonna get the chance to figure out the difference she's really against it ,ive been using tap water for 2 years with no problems relaited to it other than a small amout of algae wich is not even a small problem so she dosent see any advantage to better water vs. the wasted water
the idea that i might have a set allowance of water before charges would help my argument though.

Umm, check the municipal water dept. to see what is your monthly allowed quantity (usually for a flat rate) and is the cost of additional cubic meters. Worth digging deeper into this.

I know what you mean about the wife being against it. :( I had to provide the logical reasons and explanations as to why I should buy a RO/DI unit for the fish tank. After tallying up the current/accumulated investment, it is well worth the purchase/usage. Also books that explain the benefits of pristine water quality. etc... etc...

Good luck buddy and hope the storm will pass...

8)

This is one of the privileges of not being attached to anyone. I can spend my money the way I please. :mrgreen:

I can set the thermostat, I don't have to buy a new car every year, I can keep 6 chinchillas, I can buy a new computer but not a new TV, I can refinance the house, I can talk to my mother as long as I want, I don't have to listen to someone else's music, I hardly ever make spagatti ... the benefits are endless! People feel sorry for me because I'm living alone. Far from it. I feel sorry for you poor souls out there who have to constantly ask someone's permission for how you spend money. You had more freedom when you were a 10-year-old with an allowance! Hee hee hee.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :p :lol: I grow weary of how society goes on and on about couples and being married and such. When I can put in a plug for the unattached, I do. 8)

Okay, so can someone explain to me what waste water is? I have my ro/di unit connected to my kitchen sink and drain. The line that was marked to connect to the drain I just connected it to the drain. Why would there be waste water, the instructions did not explain that. I assumed the water stayed in the holding tank until I use it and then the unit makes more. What am I missing?

The waste water is produced by the RO part of the system. My understanding is that upto 75% of the water that passes through the unit will be rejected by the RO membrane. The water that is rejected is diverted to the drain.

HTH,

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom