Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

RO water TDS Level

My tap water starts out at about 320 and after the three stage RO unit ends up at 10. Is this good enough for a freshwater planted tank or should I get a DI add on for it? Thanks.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is fine for FW. If you went with a DI, you'd have to use something like Seachem's Replenish (Seachem. Replenish) to remineralize the water, otherwise your livestock would perish.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks. I did get seachem equilibrium. I just didn't know if my target should be 0 TDS or not before putting the seachem in.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a lightly planted FW tank and use straight up tap for it (with Prime). I've had no issues, but do weekly PWC.

I only use RO/DI in my SW tank.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I re buffer my RO/di with tap water, sounds a bit backwards I know, never had a problem. 010 TDS is very acid water, incapable of sustaining most aquatic life. If you have alkaline water the correct combination can be used to make water from 0 to tap water TDS. For me roughly 50:50 gives TDS 120 approx to neutral pH. Water from tap is still de-chlorinated.

This is balanced and safe in freshwater up to TDS 030. Then the Di resin needs changing as it messes the ratio up considerably.

TDS and Gh are basically the same thing.
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

agree. RO or RO/DI is usually reserved for SW tanks or FW with delicate fish such as discus. if you don't have these two types of tanks, a regular tap water from faucet should suffice. also, the minerals and chemicals such as phosphate in the water are great for planted tanks.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post
010 TDS is very acid water, incapable of sustaining most aquatic life.
This is not true. TDS doesn't govern the acidity/alkalinity of the water, pH does, which is a logarithmic measure of the amount of hydrogen/hydroxide ions in the water.

Edit: I shouldn't say pH "does" govern the acidity/alkalinity of water...it doesn't. It's a measure of the acidity/alkalinity.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

To expand...from a chemical engineering source:
"There is NO relationship between pH and TDS. Let us imagine a solution of an acid salt, say sodium bisufate (a.k.a. sodium hydrogen sulfate). No matter what its concentration (TDS), it will have a low ph (< 7.0). Now take an alkaline salt solution, say sodium carbonate. Again no matter the concentration, the pH will be high (>7.0). Even for a given solution, there is nothing approaching a linear relationship. Take pure water and drop a flake of sodium hydroxide into it. The pH will skyrocket. As you add more caustic, the pH will continue to rise to a point, but it will do so much more slowly."
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
This is not true. TDS doesn't govern the acidity/alkalinity of the water, pH does, which is a logarithmic measure of the amount of hydrogen/hydroxide ions in the water.
Test a sample of RO/di water at 010 it is acidic.

Incorrect, PH is a measure of the balance of those ions. The amount of TDS will buffer the water up down accordingly. TDS is hardness. Total dissolved solids.
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know what TDS is. Hardness is KH and GH, not pH. Read my post above yours with the example.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com