Rocks or No Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopinrockwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not sure if this is in the right section or not.
I am in the middle of a new tank build as my last tank full of African Cichlids were all killed when I was without power for 8 days during Christmas.
What do you think would look better in my tank? Rocks or bare sand? (there is no sand in the picture)
Thanks.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390236632.658184.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390236657.381184.jpg

I know this is a bit off topic, but I absolutely love that background. How did you make it?

On topic, I'd go without rocks, but that's just my opinion. The fish might like them.

No problem, thanks. I found a look that I wanted and copied it with the Styrofoam formed into "rocks" and covered it about 5 coats of ready mix cement. I tinted the last 3 coats with a dark cement pigment. There are lots of youtube how to videos that you should check out also.
The more I look at it the more I like the rocks. It breaks the bottom up and even if they hide They will still be seen.

African cichlids love rocks, at least the mbunas do, hence the name. Rocks are needs for territory/housing reasons. They pick out their turf and call it home.

Good advice. I had about 150-175lbs of the lace rock that looked good with just the rocks but I could never see all the fish a they would hide in all the caves. The new background has about 10 caves carved in behind the rocks. I also don't want to cover it up with rocks. A couple are fine I would think so they would feel safe and I can still see them.

Back
Top Bottom